UL listing required for concrete pull boxes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfro

One of my clients posed this question.

Are concrete pull boxes (outdoor/underground) required to be U.L. listed?

Another electrical engineer has told him that they are and if they are not he needs to install a U.L. listed box inside the concrete pull box.

Any thoughts?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Re: UL listing required for concrete pull boxes?

Handholes are covered by Article 314. I don't find a requirement that they be a listed product.
Don

ryan_618

They make UL listed concrete handhole enclosures. I know that, like Don said, the NEC doesn't require listing of them. OSHA, on the other hand, would require it in a commercial building I am led to beleive.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

I've not seen any listed concrete handhole enclosures. there is one company that makes a UL listed composite box.

sandsnow

Concrete handholes and vaults have been around forever and never been listed. I don't know of any problems with them in the past when installed correctly.

Unfortunately, once a manufacturer gets something listed, then it magically becomes "required" in many persons eyes.

pierre

"Unfortunately, once a manufacturer gets something listed, then it magically becomes "required" in many persons eyes."

Larry
Well said, isn't that how so many "myths" in our industry get started?

QUAZITE BOXES ARE U.L. LISTED UNDER STRONGWELL CORP UL LISTING # E190048 DATED 2-17-2000

Status
Not open for further replies.