UL Listing for boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonerider

Do 4" Square boxes have a UL Listing for pendant mounting?
A customer of mine hired a Insurance inspector to find any potential OSHA violations. He noted the 4" Sq. boxes hung by a cord. There are strain reliefs on both ends of the cord.

shocker3218

Re: UL Listing for boxes

just had a 2 day OSHA inspection at my job site. I had no violations, but was interviewed about other violations. I asked the inspector about some of the more common violation, and he commented on home-made cords (similar to your pendant mounted box)

His statement was that the box on the end of the cord has to have no removable KO's in it. In other words a cast box with a strain relief and suitable cover is the only acceptable way to make a cord. The emphasis is on using products as per listing and labeling. His interpetation was that a box with removeable KO's was to be used in a finished wall, not on the end of a cord. Hope this helps.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

314.23(H)(1) requires a hub. Knockouts would be allowed just not for support.

edit: reference

[ July 12, 2005, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: jim dungar ]

lonerider

Originally posted by shocker3218:
just had a 2 day OSHA inspection at my job site. I had no violations, but was interviewed about other violations. I asked the inspector about some of the more common violation, and he commented on home-made cords (similar to your pendant mounted box)

His statement was that the box on the end of the cord has to have no removable KO's in it. In other words a cast box with a strain relief and suitable cover is the only acceptable way to make a cord. The emphasis is on using products as per listing and labeling. His interpetation was that a box with removeable KO's was to be used in a finished wall, not on the end of a cord. Hope this helps.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

lonerider,
Please keep all discussions in the public forum.

You are correct, 314.23(H)(1) does not say a hub is the only method it just uses it as an example. There are other approved methods such as boxes with integral cord strain reliefs (from Hubbell or Daniel Woodhead). But because it specifically refers to a strain-relief connector in a hub, I believe it does not consider a locknut as an equivalent method.

But all raceway support methods (314.23(E), (F), and (H)(2) all require threaded entries or hubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.