UL listed or not??

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinware

Here is the situation. I work in the healthcare environment and the hospital is about it implement a new piece of equipment. This equipment is a wireless cart that will be used for patient care data entry so it will be going into the patient room. This cart has a 10 - 16Vdc battery at the bottom of the cart that when not in use is plugged into a 120V rec. along the wall for charging. The battery is used to power a 12Vdc flat panel monitor that is "UL" recognized (E147353) only, and a small HP laptop. The output of the battery (16Vdc) is hard wired to an un-insulated screw terminal block which is the input of a 12Vdc voltage regulator. The output of this regulator is a 12Vdc un-insulated screw terminal block which is being used in this way. The power supply that came with the laptop has an inline transformer with a rectifier to have an output of 19Vdc. The cord on the secondary side is being cut off and being hard wired to the 12Vdc output of the regulator to provide power for the laptop. The un-insulated terminals of the regulator are about one inch from the vent holes of the cover that goes over the regulator. Just right for a small child to stick a paper clip into (that is just my opinion). The battery at the bottom of this cart is listed with "CSA-230691" only as a mobile power supply. Should it be UL listed also? The cart itself has no "UL" listing as an assembly that I can find. And I am wondering, "should it?" I am finding it hard to believe that this cart would be able to pass any "inspection" or "test" just because of the way the laptop is being used. Can I get some opinions?

Thanks,
Kevin

muskiedog

Why is it a hazard?

Why is it a hazard?

Sticking a paper clip into the vent holes is the only hazard with this?

You could put an additional mesh to block that from happening. Live parts need to be guarded against contact but from what you are describing I have seen may similiar carts in hospitals with the laptop on the cart for each room.

kevinware

Being a hazard was only my opinon. We all know 12Vdc might make us jump and twitch. But if this happens in the hospital then there will be lawyers lining up to sue. I was just looking out for my employer. Yes we could add some kind of screen to block anything being inserted into the vent holes. But my point is I shouldn't have too IMOP.

Sorry Kingpb I am still trying to add pics.

Update: Management has told me to drop this issue. Now they have changed the configuration because of the laptop so now I have 120V on the un-insulated terminals.

Thanks for your help,

Kevin

thinfool

IMO, a saner approach would be to somehow add an automotive,12v lighter receptacle to the output of the power supply, then purchase a dc-dc power supply for the HP laptop.

The dc-dc power supply will step up the 12v to the 19volts that the HP needs, and it comes with a male lighter plug that would safely fit into the power supply on the cart.

http://www.directron.com/omni2100cc.html

k5brad

It seems to me that the cart you have is for use in Canadian hospitals, or it should have a UL listing instead of a CSA.

Status
Not open for further replies.