UL Listed ITE Cable Receptacle Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

natfuelbill

How do I determine if existing cables could be reused by field removing the UL factory installed receptacles and field install other receptacle and backbox? I understand it is a UL issue. Are there "UL qualified" electricians?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
As long as the cable is labeled and listed and is suitable for whatever you are doing you should be OK.

This is no different then reusing existing conduit for a new purpose. Or repairing the cable by replacing the connector.

AFAIK, there is no such thing as a UL "qualified" electrician.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
The UL Listing says the device was manufactured to their standards and because it is a "snapshot of what was" it can not truly be voided. Typically UL would want to send out an inspector before making the determination that any field (i.e. ones without listed manufacturer instructions) modifications or repairs would adversly affect the application of the device.

I think that there is a difference between reusing conduit and conductors over. In pulling out the conductors, what is to say that there is no damage that is existing or occurred during the removal?
Visual inspections are also another thing to be dissuaded from. Meggering would not hurt and would satisfy me. As a contractor, I installed new work, and new work usually included new material.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Pierre C Belarge said:
I think that there is a difference between reusing conduit and conductors over. In pulling out the conductors, what is to say that there is no damage that is existing or occurred during the removal?
Visual inspections are also another thing to be dissuaded from. Meggering would not hurt and would satisfy me. As a contractor, I installed new work, and new work usually included new material.

I do not see an issue with reusing existing conductors. Pulling them out of one location and installing them elsewhere might be something else, but as long as due care is taken, it might be a cost effective approach.

This presumes the owner of the building knows this is what is being planned and approves.

I had the impression the poster planned to leave them in place and just switch out some boxes and receptacles.

Status
Not open for further replies.