UL Inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to build some panels and customer is asking they be UL labeled. Does anyone know the process and who I might need to contact?
Thanks, bob

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I need to build some panels and customer is asking they be UL labeled. Does anyone know the process and who I might need to contact?
Thanks, bob

the simplest and most cost effective solution is to just have them built by a UL shop.

they will also need to be properly designed to UL standards.

there is nothing real special about designing to UL standards but now and then you can get tripped up if you are not real familiar with all of the requirements.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
the simplest and most cost effective solution is to just have them built by a UL shop.

they will also need to be properly designed to UL standards.

there is nothing real special about designing to UL standards but now and then you can get tripped up if you are not real familiar with all of the requirements.
And just to add to this, the process of ATTAINING a UL 508A listing capability for your shop will take you around 6 months and, last time I helped someone with it about 2 years ago, around $20,000 by the time it is all done. So if it is just one or a few panels, find a UL 508A panel shop to build them for you. If you want to go into the business of BECOMING a UL 508A panel shop, and your customer can wait that long, then look into the option with UL.

Option 2 is a "field inspection" by UL, or if this is just for satisfying a local building code, any number of other "NRTL" companies like them. NRTL means "Nationally Recognized Testing Lab" and there is a list of about a dozen or so maintained by OSHA that shows who is acceptable. States that have a clause requiring listing will not actually say UL specifically, it will say NRTL, it's just that UL is the most widely known.

Field inspection is however not a cheap option either, just cheaper than getting the full blown 508A listing. It's still less expensive to just have it built by an existing shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.