UL 67 Service Entrance Barriers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enlighten

I have a 225 raintight main disconnect load center the service entrance barriers do not protect line side lugs & exposed parts in the disconnect. According to Schneider Electric (Square D), they say that their service disconnects are not a panel board and do not have to be protected like panel boards & switch gear, according to Article 408.3 (a) (2). My inspector wants the line side protected but Square D does not have the barriers on their 225 amp raintight main disconnects. Any thoughts on this or where else in the code could I find exceptions to back up what Square D is saying?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Neither UL 67 nor Article 408 apply to disconnects used as service equipment. The AHJ needs to look at the scope of Article 408. It is very clear that it does not apply to disconnects. There is nothing in the code that I know of that requires the same protection for the line side of a disconnect used as service equipment, However most disconnects have has some form of line side barriers for decades. (note, I was thinking of a fusible disconnect...is this a single breaker disconnect?)

Enlighten

Yes it is a 200 amp main breaker disconnect, that is the same breaker for all their panels and provide shielding but when used in the raintight enclosure the kit does not cover the line side. Like you said they consider it a disconnect , not a panel or switch board, switchgear by definition. I am sure that Square D will be coming up with a solution for this issue.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Yes it is a 200 amp main breaker disconnect, that is the same breaker for all their panels and provide shielding but when used in the raintight enclosure the kit does not cover the line side. Like you said they consider it a disconnect , not a panel or switch board, switchgear by definition. I am sure that Square D will be coming up with a solution for this issue.
It would depend on the listing of the product. UL 67 applies to panelboards with a single disconnect.

kwired

Electron manager

Are you talking about say a Q2 circuit breaker with lugs each end and mounted in an individual enclosure? That is not a panelboard or switchboard.

If you are talking about a single breaker enclosure for a QOM2 series breaker, that might be more questionable as one side of the breaker does connect to a bus (not much of a bus but is not a lug in/lug out type of breaker)which might just classify that thing as a panelboard, might need to look at details on that one to know for certain what they call it.

Add, but I would think worst case the barriers that are used in loadcenters with a QOM2 main breaker would fit in here as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.