Uh oh, I need training courses quick!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
While researching an answer for another thread I happened to pull up my license info from the state database and realized my license requires renewal in 3.5 months. This means I need to do 14 credits of training quick.

Two cycles ago I did Mike's two day in-person training. I liked that it was over in two days, but I didn't feel like I retained that much new info so I said I would do it online next time.

Last cycle I did the Mike's online training. It took me about six weeks to complete it at a pace that allowed me to retain the maximum info. But six weeks is a long time and I said I'd do the in-person training next time just to get it over with quick.

Well now, I don't think I have a choice. I haven't looked yet, but I assume there are no in-person classes due to the virus. Now I'm dreading the excruciatingly long online training. I guess my only alternative is to race through the material. I won't retain much, but I'll get it over with.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Learning is a life-long endeavor. Renewing a license is a once-every-few-years event. Set your priorities. Your license is your livelihood. So take care of that first. I believe Mike's company will allow you to take their on-line training courses more than once.

Rdcowart

Occupation
Electrical license Holder
I would check with your state board due to the world we live in now, some states are waving the continuing education for this year.
I Believe that the North Carolina state board did this for us This year. How often does your state require your license to be renewed and how many hours of continuing education? North Carolina requires 8 hours of continuing education a year plus a renewal fee.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
OK, so I bought the online training course and started training. I now know a lot more about swimming pools, fountains, and similar installations. However, I'm only 1/3 of the way through the first one credit hour module and I've spent 90 minutes on it so far. As much as I am trying to go quickly, I can't stop myself from reading every word and trying to understand every nuance. This is going to be a long slog.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Yeah, I hate online classes, but some of the in person classes suck too. I like to have a teacher that actual knows code, and a lot of those classes are taught by someone who failed at being an electrician, so they teach! LOL! The one class I always look forward to is Steve Owen's. He covers code that is actually interesting, not one of those boring I already know that classes.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
OK, so I bought the online training course and started training. I now know a lot more about swimming pools, fountains, and similar installations. However, I'm only 1/3 of the way through the first one credit hour module and I've spent 90 minutes on it so far. As much as I am trying to go quickly, I can't stop myself from reading every word and trying to understand every nuance. This is going to be a long slog.

Did you really think you could do 14 credit hours in an hour or two? See if there is a local chapter of electrical contractors that meet once a month a give credit hours.

We have the ncaec (north carolina assoc of electrical contractors. We have 10 meetings a month and we get 10 credit hours. NC only requires 8 credit hours/ year but has overlooked it for this year. We can accumulate up to 3 years so I always stay ahead of the game... It is nice not to worry about hours every year

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
NC only requires 8 credit hours/ year but has overlooked it for this year. We can accumulate up to 3 years so I always stay ahead of the game... It is nice not to worry about hours every year

Need to note that half the hous must be done in a class room, the other half can be online. I use to keep three years stock piled but since I retired I'm only keeping two.

Roger

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
As much as I am trying to go quickly, I can't stop myself from reading every word and trying to understand every nuance.
This is a choice you get to make, and you have to deal with the consequences of your choice. You have the option of getting through the test questions that will give you credit for the course, then going back and " trying to understand every nuance" later.

Peter Furrow

We’re not born humble, we’re born to be humbled
Occupation
Electrical contractor
The Florida legislature passed a house bill during the 2020 legislative session. After July 1 , 2020 certified electrical contractors will only have to report 11 hours of continuing education instead of 14 hours.
I’m not sure what prompted them to do that. Florida is in a weird place right now.
I’m just curious if other states lowered their CEU requirements?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I was waiting to hear if that bill passed. I had already purchased my Mike Holt online training which is 16 hours. Now I have to contact Mike Holt and see if he can restructure the training package to be 11 hours. Usually I like learning extra stuff, but I think I want to avoid having to do the extra 5 hours this round.

kwired

Electron manager
we need 12 hours every 2 years here, end of this year is the deadline for renewal.

state board stated months ago they will not waive any the usual requirements for renewal, there was time to get some credits last year and still plenty of time to get online credits if you can't get into anything else.

Keep in mind that you should make sure a particular class is valid with a particular AHJ whether online or in person. Many are valid in multiple places, but depending on the class you may need to check a box at signup for which AHJ's will be notified or sign multiple sign in sheets for multiple AHJ's at some in person classes.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
In Va. we are only required to get 3 hours between renewals. And that is now every 3 years. It was every two years.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yay! I finished my online training today. Just in time. My licence renewal is in a week. Started the training May 16, over three months ago. It's really hard to do online training when I use the same computer to play online games. Next time I'll do Mike's weekend in Orlando training and get it over with fast.

mayanees

Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Master Electrician
There are more and more online options because of the virus environment. Webinars that issue CEUs now require facial recognition among other things to make sure you're at the presentation for the duration. If undetected, attendees are logged out, and must log back in to continue, with some lower limit of attendance required (like 90%).
I prefer face-to-face, but the virtual trainings aren't bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.