Ufer rebar size and connection location?

Status
Not open for further replies.

owkaye

New project. Homeowner will use 1/2 inch rebar in his 16" by 20" footing poured on undisturbed ground. He welds the rebar together rather than wire tying it. He wants to bring one end of a stick of rebar up out of the footing and into the hollow wall space beneath the main disconnect so I can attach my ground wire to it.

1- Is 1/2 inch rebar thick enough to act as a Ufer/CEE or must it be 5/8 inch or thicker?

2- Can I clamp my #4 ground wire to the exposed rebar inside the wall cavity, or must this connection be embedded in the poured concrete?

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
New project. Homeowner will use 1/2 inch rebar in his 16" by 20" footing poured on undisturbed ground. He welds the rebar together rather than wire tying it. He wants to bring one end of a stick of rebar up out of the footing and into the hollow wall space beneath the main disconnect so I can attach my ground wire to it.

1- Is 1/2 inch rebar thick enough to act as a Ufer/CEE or must it be 5/8 inch or thicker?

2- Can I clamp my #4 ground wire to the exposed rebar inside the wall cavity, or must this connection be embedded in the poured concrete?

most of the ufer's i have seen were 1/2" rebar.
never really thought that much about it.

the only way your connection can be imbedded is if the
connection type is approved for embeddng.

cadweld and hypress come to mind. most of the time,
you put a two gang ring near the connection point in
the wall, so it's accessible.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Use an acorn clamp on the exposed rebar, put a 2 gang mud ring in the wall so the connection is accessible. Most often the AHJ will want to see the rebar before the pour

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

20' of 1/2" rebar is the minimum needed to qualify as a CEE. The GEC connection can be embedded or exposed.

Flanative

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I know this is an old thread but it has some relevancy to a recent situation. I have an inspector telling me if the connection is made in the void of the wall the void has to be filled up with concrete afterwards because the 5’ piece bent up leaves only 15’ encased. I told him its tied to the rest of the steel so its more than 20’. He doesn't understand and wants me to add ground rods

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I know this is an old thread but it has some relevancy to a recent situation. I have an inspector telling me if the connection is made in the void of the wall the void has to be filled up with concrete afterwards because the 5’ piece bent up leaves only 15’ encased. I told him its tied to the rest of the steel so its more than 20’. He doesn't understand and wants me to add ground rods
I agree, he doesn't understand, good luck educating him.

Roger

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Speak to his boss as he has no clue. The wording of the NEC is clear that several pieces of rebar tied together can get you the required minimum of 20' of rebar.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The part that's in the wall doesn't count as part of the CEE anyway.

Greentagger

Occupation
Master Electrician, Electrical Inspector
How can he inspect it if it’s already been poured?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Thats the thing. Its his boss telling him this. 🤦‍♂️
Well then you're doomed. You're dealing with two people who know little about the NEC and should find a refresher course on Article 250. Wasn't the CEE inspected before the pour?

Status
Not open for further replies.