Two pole photocells! LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
410.104 (b) Switching.It basically says both ungrounded conductors serving electric discharge lighting must be disconnected, but 208 and 480 volt photocells break only one conductor. Thousands of fixtures are wired that way from the factory, so because it is a listed fixture, this code section does not apply? But if you add a photocell, it would be prohibited? Doesn’t make any sense! LOL!

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't 410.104(B) for the lamp itself and aux equipment and not the fixture?

1627522171449.png

Does 410.130 (F) address the type of lighting you have?

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't 410.104(B) for the lamp itself and aux equipment and not the fixture?

View attachment 2557365

Does 410.130 (F) address the type of lighting you have?
I think I might be wrong. Is the Aux equipment the ballast?

In other threads some consider the photo cell control and not a switch???

Last edited:

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Hid pole light, from what I can gather, the ballast is considered auxiliary equipment. It says “switching device” Inspector is citing the photocell as a switching device.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Hid pole light, from what I can gather, the ballast is considered auxiliary equipment. It says “switching device” Inspector is citing the photocell as a switching device.
A photocell on the light itself or an aux photocell mounted remotely? Generally do these not go to contactors?

Status
Not open for further replies.