Two different system conductors in same conduit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkim780

Hi, Guys.

Dose or Does not NEC allow you to run 120/208V conductors and 277/480V conductors in same raceway? Can you tell me which NEC section states this provision?

Thanks in advance.

dereckbc

Staff member
Re: Two different system conductors in same conduit?

Yes it can be done, as long as you can differentiate between the two. Do not have code book handy to cite code number. Sure someone will chime in with the info.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

300.3(C) Conductors of Different Systems.
(1) 600 Volts, Nominal, or Less. Conductors of circuits rated 600 volts, nominal, or less, ac circuits, and dc circuits shall be permitted to occupy the same equipment wiring enclosure, cable, or raceway. All conductors shall have an insulation rating equal to at least the maximum circuit voltage applied to any conductor within the enclosure, cable, or raceway.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Note that if the curcuits are multiwire circuits, that 210.4(D) requires that each of the hots be identified as to phase and voltage. This section applies even when the multiwire circuits are not in the same raceway. Also note that the grounded conductor of one system is to be white or gray and the grounded conductor of the second system must be white with a colored stripe where both grounded conductors are in the same raceway. See 200.6(D).
Don

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

And the means of identification has to be posted on each panel board where the branch circuit orginates.

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Didn't this same question come up not long ago or am I thinking of something else? Seems like I remember replying to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.