TV in bathroom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
The archy spec'd flat screen in a larger bathroom, with some sort of 'soaking tub'
The ceilings are 8' there. .....
I'm drawing a blank, is there a code ref for audio/visual equipment within a bath zone?

~RJ~

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
This has been discussed a couple of times in the past, including design ideas to make this a good installation rather than simply compliant.

See:
https://forums.mikeholt.com/threads/flat-screen-tv-over-whirlpool-tub-in-bathroom.75284/

Jon

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
This has been discussed a couple of times in the past, including design ideas to make this a good installation rather than simply compliant.

See:
https://forums.mikeholt.com/threads/flat-screen-tv-over-whirlpool-tub-in-bathroom.75284/

Jon
well thx Winnie :cool: ....so far i've got>>>

210.8 (A) (9) Bathtubs or shower stalls — where receptacles are instal‐
led within 1.8 m (6 ft) of the outside edge of the bathtub
or shower stall

&&&&&&>>>>>>>>

406.9(2)(C) Bathtub and Shower Space. Receptacles shall not be
installed within or directly over a bathtub or shower stall.
~RJ~

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Can the TV be built into the wall behind a plexiglas panel if plugs are accessed from behind and not within the tub footprint? I've seen TV built into the or part of a mirror

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
The archy spec'd flat screen in a larger bathroom, with some sort of 'soaking tub'
The ceilings are 8' there. .....
I'm drawing a blank, is there a code ref for audio/visual equipment within a bath zone?

~RJ~
Is it an actual bathroom TV?
I mean a waterproof (for moisture) ELV TV?

These are made for bathrooms and are 12V.
Now they get up to 75”

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Is it an actual bathroom TV?
I mean a waterproof (for moisture) ELV TV?

These are made for bathrooms and are 12V.
Now they get up to 75”
Can you share a link to a 12 volt large screen TV's. Not doubting you but never seen large 12 volt TV's. Most 12 volt TV's are designed for RV's and not very good quality especially for a high end custom home.

One option would be to use a Samsung Frame or othe higher end Samsung TV that uses a One Connect Box. The power is supplied to the One Connect and a hybrid fiber/copper cable connects the box to the TV. The cable carries the power and signal. You can get One Connect cables up to 49' to allow for remote mounting of the One Connect.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Can you share a link to a 12 volt large screen TV's. Not doubting you but never seen large 12 volt TV's. Most 12 volt TV's are designed for RV's and not very good quality especially for a high end custom home.

One option would be to use a Samsung Frame or othe higher end Samsung TV that uses a One Connect Box. The power is supplied to the One Connect and a hybrid fiber/copper cable connects the box to the TV. The cable carries the power and signal. You can get One Connect cables up to 49' to allow for remote mounting of the One Connect.
Might check with a hot tub showroom, they probably have a line on one.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Might check with a hot tub showroom, they probably have a line on one.
I'm not looking for one but just curious what Hv&Lv was referring to.

We install quite a few exterior WR TV's but they are all 120 volt.

I had not seen the TV's Fred B posted. I did not look through the specs but from the picture the cord between the power supply and TV doesn't look very long so you would need to find a close location for the receptacle.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

Kind of pricey at $2,500...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.