Turning lights on cycles flat screen tv ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

Hello.

Just did a small service call.

The bed room circ where the flat screen tv is plugged in is probably on the same circ as bath hall and other bed. Didn't look that deep. I put a receptacle tester in the power strip supplying the tv. The tester and cable box stays lit/on Occasionally when turning on a light in the bath hall or bed the tv will go out and back on. not shut off to have to turn it back on but will go out then back on. Like cycle.

??

Anyone see this before ?

Thank you

ritelec

I would likely load test the outlet with the TV.

Plug in a 1500-2000 watt load and see if the voltage plummets.

Thanks for the replies.

If it plummets loose connection somewhere? If not it's tv ?

The owner said the receptacle had recently been changed to grounding.

Tester showed polarity ok and grounded.

No reports of issues in other rooms.

Supposed to be a cheaper flat screen about 5 yrs old. Dynex

If I'm in that area I'll perform that experiment.

Not doubting. But wouldn't I see lights flicker. My tester go out even quickly or the tv go out and have to get turned back on if it went out because of A loose connection ?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have heard these issues with flat screens before. In fact, just this morning someone told me that when the fluorescents lights came on the TV would go off. I think it is some kind of electronic interference- call a TV place and see if they have a filter or something for this. It is obviously not that uncommon

ritelec

I have heard these issues with flat screens before. In fact, just this morning someone told me that when the fluorescents lights came on the TV would go off. I think it is some kind of electronic interference- call a TV place and see if they have a filter or something for this. It is obviously not that uncommon

Thank you.

Interesting.

I'm didn't look hard at what was up at the existing fixtures but I also changed out a bad dimmer for a switch for a fixture they were installing cfl bulbs in. The bulbs cfls didn't match so I replaced them with A's from the truck. Wonder if they had cfl bulbs in the bath bed hall and if so does that have anything to do with it.

Thanks again.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Do a search on it-- helpful to know the brand. Some people say to unplug it for 10 minutes and then re-plug it in-- like a computer. Not sure that will help your situation

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Is the TV powering off or just going black then back on? I have seen this issues twice and the cause was bad video/RF cables. One time it was a cheap poorly shielded coax that ran from the wall plate to the DirecTV receiver. The other time was just recently and it was a bad HDMI cable. I replaced the cables both times and the problem went away.

This happened to us before. There was a magnetic fluorescent fixture in the house. When that was turned on or off, the tv would shut off. I changed the fixture to electronic ballast and the problem went away. Of course, this was after we ripped every outlet and switch apart in the home to make sure there were no loose connections.

PetrosA

I recently had a customer with the opposite problem - a small flat screen they got for the kitchen would turn ON when nobody was in the room or while the people were away from home. It was also some cheapie brand like Dynex. My best guess was that the security vehicles in the +55 community were using some kind of radios that interfered with whatever cheap components were in the TV.

Jon456

The owner said the receptacle had recently been changed to grounding.

Tester showed polarity ok and grounded.
I would check for a correct polarity bootleg ground (CPBG) or a reverse polarity bootleg ground (RPBG). I'd lay odds that a proper ground wire was not installed to that outlet. A CPBG or RPBG will appear to be wired correctly using a three-light tester:

attachment.php

Below is a link to a great thread by member jmsokol discussing bootleg grounds. The photo above is his and was taken from his thread.

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=146019

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I would check for a correct polarity bootleg ground (CPBG) or a reverse polarity bootleg ground (RPBG). I'd lay odds that a proper ground wire was not installed to that outlet. A CPBG or RPBG will appear to be wired correctly using a three-light tester:

attachment.php

Below is a link to a great thread by member jmsokol discussing bootleg grounds. The photo above is his and was taken from his thread.

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=146019

A friend of mine bought a small travel trailer that had been wired by its former handyman owner. Everything in it seemed to be OK until my friend brought cable TV out to the trailer and accidentally touched the ground nut on the cable connector to an aluminum windowframe. It arced and melted the aluminum where contact was made. The former owner had built a double male 120V pigtail (what I call an Aggie extension cord - hook 'em!:)) to connect the trailer to shore current and gotten hot and neutral reversed. Apparently he had connected "neutral" to the trailer chassis as well. My friend is lucky no one got killed. Yikes!

bewing

being

being

I ran into this problem when a contractor placed the TV on the lighting circuit. The circuit was controlled by a dimmer. This caused the TV to flicker, etc. When the TV circuit was removed from lighting to receptacle circuit, it functioned as it should.

Status
Not open for further replies.