Trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Operators
You win. The checks in the mail.

The solenoid and PBs I was directed to were good. Tone generator got me to a terminal strip that didn’t check out or make sense. Back to the bank of solenoids. Hmmm. Followed the hydraulic lines from the malfunctioning cylinders back to the solenoids. They were working on the wrong one. Got the toner hooked on the correct control wires and followed it directly to bad repair splices in the cable.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
You win. The checks in the mail.

The solenoid and PBs I was directed to were good. Tone generator got me to a terminal strip that didn’t check out or make sense. Back to the bank of solenoids. Hmmm. Followed the hydraulic lines from the malfunctioning cylinders back to the solenoids. They were working on the wrong one. Got the toner hooked on the correct control wires and followed it directly to bad repair splices in the cable.
I wished you had sent it overnight!:p

I listen to HO or operators and then take what they say with a "grain of salt"!

Bluegrass Boy

Occupation
Commercial/ Industrial/ Maintenance Electrician
Normally operators, but this one time, I should have investigated further. 0C2E6558-2276-43F8-9251-3BA0DDB18BDF.jpeg

Bluegrass Boy

Occupation
Commercial/ Industrial/ Maintenance Electrician
Doesn't look like electrical failure. At least not to start.
It was mounted on a pedestal, and all the welds broke. An operator had told us they heard a loud pop, and felt it in the floor. It actually did very little damage, we had it running again within about 4 hours.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I saw the aftermath of a runaway servo motor on a ball screw once. Was back before it was real common for the amplifiers to check for malfunctioning feedback.

Slide hit the OT switch and kept going. Turned out the company electrician jumped it out because the slide kept running past OT. Duh....

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The difference between actually solving a problem and "just make it go away". (Another reason I really hate rebooting a computer to "make the problem go away".)
But that is a actually an example of something that actually fixes something as opposed to making something just go away. There are a lot of files and memory resident routines that go away when you reboot. It is why it often works.

There are a lot of files and memory resident routines that go away when you reboot.

Exactly- the problem "goes away" but isn't actually fixed because it could recur for the same reason sometime later. Fixing might involve changing a setting or updating some software (or letting the machine cool down, or....).

Resetting a breaker "makes the problem go away", but unless the underlying conditions that caused the trip are changed, the breaker is likely to trip again ("No, you can't run 4 blenders at once on that one outlet.").

Status
Not open for further replies.