Troffers on parallel circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

JACK55

Engineer wants recessed flourescent troffers wired so any one fixture can be removed without interupting circuit.no live wires, need special type connector?

Wiring must be in mc cable any suggestions

mcclary's electrical

Engineer wants recessed flourescent troffers wired so any one fixture can be removed without interupting circuit.no live wires, need special type connector?

Wiring must be in mc cable any suggestions

You will need 4" square junction boxes near all lights, and then every light will need a fixture whip to extend to the junction box

iwire

Staff member
If that is what the EE wants I think the EE should be the one trying to find the product. :)

The EE may be thinking of 'Re-Loc' type systems that use MC cable with male and female plugs but I do not think any of them are listed or intended to be connected or disconnected live.

http://www.relocwiring.com/Products/PrdSys.aspx?s=3

I have fixed many that have failed and I would not have wanted my hands on it when it did.

mcclary's electrical

I, too, have found lousy contact with those connectors.

It doesn't need to be that fancy. The ballast disconnect that come with the troffers would have to be installed at the feed end of the fixture whip. If he buys a newly manufactured light, it will come with the right ballast disconnect.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The ballast disconnect that come with the troffers would have to be installed at the feed end of the fixture whip.
I never thought of doing that, but you'd still have to remove and install the MC connector/cable from an energized J-box.

I take the requirement to means no fixture daisy-chaining, not enabling fixture replacement while the circuit is energized.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I agree with Bob, if this is what the engineer wants and is asking for he needs to tell you what to use, otherwise he needs to pay you an engineering fee for your design.

Roger

JACK55

you will need 4" square junction boxes near all lights, and then every light will need a fixture whip to extend to the junction box

ifthese fixtures are in a drywall ceiling as opposed to a layin ceiling where tiles can be removed, are those splices in the 4" sq j.b for the whips, considered concealed splices and therefore a violation? Not accessible

types of fixtures installed: 2x4 recesses flour flange type, hi hats

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
How about a whip with a plug from the troffer and a receptacle in the 4/0 box,is that legal?

dick

I'd say the Engineer and Architect wouldn't be to happy about seeing a cord (or any cable) and receptacle below the drop ceiling.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I didn't say anything about below the drop ceiling,I'm talking about a LayIn Troffer.

dick

So where are you going to install the receptacle? If you put it above the ceiling you can not use a cord and plug.

Roger

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I take that back, you could use a Meltric connector. They have plug bodies that can accept a connector for sealtight or flex....but I doubt the engineer would like the cost.

iwire

Staff member
I take that back, you could use a Meltric connector. They have plug bodies that can accept a connector for sealtight or flex....but I doubt the engineer would like the cost.

Heck my cost on a male & female single phase 20 amp Meltric would likely be $200-$300. :grin:

But those would be Nylon bodies that are not 'plenum rated' I think we would have to step up to metal bodies.

dicklaxt

I just thought it sounded like a good idea,,,,,,,,

Attachments

• !cid_2_1195674489@web30304_mail_mud_yahoo.gif
    !cid_2_1195674489@web30304_mail_mud_yahoo.gif
    34.9 KB · Views: 0

broadgage

Here in the UK it is common practice to wire office and similar lighting from outlets in the ceiling, with short lengths of cord between the plug and the light.
The receptacles and plugs are special ones designed for lighting, quite different from the ones used for portable appliances.

Any light may be unplugged with safety whilst live, no more dangerous than unplugging any portable appliance.
The outlets come in three and four pin versions, the later normally used for emergency lights.

This would not be allowed in the USA owing to the prohibition on cords in ceiling voids.
There is no such prohibition here, though it is often a requirement and is allways good practice to use low smoke/zero halogen cords.
Many office lighting lighting fixtures are available ready wired with a length of cord and a plug, thereby saving time.

IMHO the USA prohibition on cords is ceiling voids is needless. I suspect that it dates back to rubber insulated and sheathed cords, these have a limited life and could become perished to the point of danger, unseen in a ceiling void.
Modern PVC cords last almost indefinatly, certainly longer than the light fixture to which they are connected.
This the sort of plug used here for lighting
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=2268359

Last edited:

wireguy8169

Not sure if this applies or even plausable (been watching myth busters lately :grin:) how about having every other light on a different contro (not meaning a different control for each fixture just alternate)l (switch, breaker, or whatever) that way you can flick the switch and still have every other light off/on as well be able to work on the fixture while its off?

iwire

Staff member
IMHO the USA prohibition on cords is ceiling voids is needless. I suspect that it dates back to rubber insulated and sheathed cords, these have a limited life and could become perished to the point of danger, unseen in a ceiling void.

Most of our cords are still rubber.

I also do not see any hardship created by requiring more substantial methods used for permanent wiring.

Modern PVC cords last almost indefinitely,

No argument here, I used to work on some German equipment with lots pf PVC cable that had been out exposed to the direct sun and weather for more than 25 years and was still in good shape. Stiff but still in fine condition, I was very impressed with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.