Tripping gfi

Bigrob

New User
Occupation
Electrician
Working on gfi in a quad box. Two gfi master has power to the line side second one fed from the load side of the first one to the line of the second one. I plug in two fans one in to each outlet, everything works fine. Plug in 6 led lights and it trips the gfi. ? Am I missing something? Weird part is the led’s worked before the gifs were changed out. Checked the wiring and all the wiring is correct. Any help would be appreciated thanks rob

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
You're asking for double trouble feeding a GFCI off the load side of another GFCI. I would start by removing the 2nd GFCI. All loads would run off the load side of the GFCI. If you still have tripping, then start removing loads until you find what is causing the trip.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Working on gfi in a quad box. Two gfi master has power to the line side second one fed from the load side of the first one to the line of the second one. I plug in two fans one in to each outlet, everything works fine. Plug in 6 led lights and it trips the gfi. ? Am I missing something? Weird part is the led’s worked before the gifs were changed out. Checked the wiring and all the wiring is correct. Any help would be appreciated thanks rob
Why were the gfi’s changed out? The old ones may have been defective, and old enough, to not self test. The new ones now work, and probably a current leakage in the LED’s causing the trips. Have you tried the LED’s in a different gfi receptacle?

djd

Who wires gfis like that ? I would separate the gfis , meaning they could be on the same circuit but not connected on load side .