Tricks for Identifying Existing PVC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerramundi

Occupation
Licensed Residential Electrician
I know what it means ;)
So I gave you the trick, use a bore scope.
Interesting suggestion.. and one that was actually unknown to me prior to making this post, so I appreciate it.

My question is though, how would using a bore scope allow you determine the difference between Schedule 80 and Schedule 40? The only way I can see this working is if (1) you were somehow able to measure the internal diameter via the scope.. or (2) there were some sort of internal markings on the PVC differentiating between Schedule 80 and Schedule 40....

Jerramundi

Occupation
Licensed Residential Electrician
I feel like my very simple question about differentiating between Schedule 80 and Schedule 40 has turned into the equivalent of me throwing a hunk of red meat into a pack of starving wild dogs, lol.

But the raging debate is interesting. I'm just gonna step back and watch the fight from a safe distance, lol. *ding* *ding* *ding*

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
Interesting suggestion.. and one that was actually unknown to me prior to making this post, so I appreciate it.

My question is though, how would using a bore scope allow you determine the difference between Schedule 80 and Schedule 40? The only way I can see this working is if (1) you were somehow able to measure the internal diameter via the scope.. or (2) there were some sort of internal markings on the PVC differentiating between Schedule 80 and Schedule 40....
I told how to see the diff. Go back a few posts.

I feel like my very simple question about differentiating between Schedule 80 and Schedule 40 has turned into the equivalent of me throwing a hunk of red meat into a pack of starving wild dogs, lol.

But the raging debate is interesting. I'm just gonna step back and watch the fight from a safe distance, lol. *ding* *ding* *ding*
Not really, you are only seeing debate on what usually is bad wording in the NEC.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Just as fyi tidbit info (WB was mentioned)

2015-16 UL Whitebook page 147
Rigid nonmetallic cellular core Schedule 40 and Schedule 80 PVC conduit
is suitable for above ground use indoors or outdoors exposed to sunlight
and weather where not subject to physical damage, and for underground
use by direct burial or encasement in concrete. Schedule 40
conduit marked ‘‘Underground Use Only’’ is only suitable for underground
applications. Schedule 80 conduit has a reduced cross-sectional area available for wiring
space and is suitable for use wherever Schedule 40 conduit may be
used. The marking ‘‘Schedule 80 PVC’’ identifies conduit suitable for use
where exposed to physical damage and for installation on poles in accordance
with the NEC.

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
Blow air through it or suction with vacuum, listen or feel for difference .. to ID conduits, if that was the question .. just be careful not to blow gallons of smelly water on something important.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Here's my suggestion.
Buy (or just pull it off the truck) a piece of 40 and 80 along with a fitting that kinda matches what being used on the timer box. An 80 fitting might not be available, but

Put 80 fitting on 80 pipe, look inside with a bore scope
Put 40 fitting on 80 pipe, look inside with a bore scope
Put 40 fitting on 40 pipe, look inside with a bore scope
Chamfer the end of 80 pipe, put 40 fitting on, look inside with a bore scope

Surely I would just bore scope each and take a pic.

Then go back to the timer, bore scope it, take a pic.

Now compare, then identify what's there.

one of these things don't look like the other
Remember that show? ;)

synchro

Occupation
EE
Put 80 fitting on 80 pipe, look inside with a bore scope
Put 40 fitting on 80 pipe, look inside with a bore scope
Put 40 fitting on 40 pipe, look inside with a bore scope
Chamfer the end of 80 pipe, put 40 fitting on, look inside with a bore scope

Surely I would just bore scope each and take a pic.

Then go back to the timer, bore scope it, take a pic.

Now compare, then identify what's there.
A suggestion is to put a piece of wire (or something else of known diameter) into the pipe in each case when the picture is taken, just to have a common reference for the scale of each picture.
That way you can more accurately compare photos if the placement of the bore scope is not identical between each one.

Just as fyi tidbit info (WB was mentioned)

2015-16 UL Whitebook page 147

Rigid nonmetallic cellular core Schedule 40 and Schedule 80 PVC conduit
is suitable for above ground use indoors or outdoors exposed to sunlight
and weather where not subject to physical damage, and for underground
use by direct burial or encasement in concrete. Schedule 40
conduit marked ‘‘Underground Use Only’’ is only suitable for underground
applications. Schedule 80 conduit has a reduced cross-sectional area available for wiring
space and is suitable for use wherever Schedule 40 conduit may be
used. The marking ‘‘Schedule 80 PVC’’ identifies conduit suitable for use
where exposed to physical damage and for installation on poles in accordance
with the NEC.

I while back the sched 40 vs sched 80 question came up, and I said on poles was the only place sched 80 was specifically required. I was sort of wrong as it isnt in the NEC, but does seem to be required by the whitebook.

kwired

Electron manager
External dimension is probably the best bet, it may only be a 1/16 difference. Or measure the thickness, either way.
External dimension is same for both, maybe a few thousandth's of inch tolerance is allowed. They must both fit in the same fittings, so change in wall thickness is going to effect inside diameter.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
‘‘Schedule 80 PVC’’ identifies conduit suitable for use
where exposed to physical damage , and for installation on poles
I while back the sched 40 vs sched 80 question came up, and I said on poles was the only place sched 80 was specifically required. I was sort of wrong as it isnt in the NEC, but does seem to be required by the whitebook.

Verbiage and grammar is often key. So, I added that green comma for the proper clarification, or should I say, easier to interpret. I take it all as, if it's on a pole it must be 80, and if it's exposed to a risk of physical damage then it must be 80, and that "on poles" inherits the "is exposed to physical damage" clause.

Status
Not open for further replies.