Trash in electrical panels

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a thread a bit ago where the OP said he was dinged by an inspector for using a panel as "storage" because he had some spare breakers in there. Don't remember if a code was cited. I can't think of a specific violation besides "neat amd workman like"

BillyMac59

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
From an electrical maintenance point of view, the practice is, at the least, poor workmanship. It could be a NEC/CEC violation based on a panel being used as a "storage" area. It may be a larger issue from a H&S perspective. Where is the material coming from and who is putting it in the panels? In my factory life, I'm constantly pulling out oil cans, water bottles,WD40, rags, etc from electrical enclosures. Too often, the people who should put a stop to this turn a blind eye to it as "no one's been hurt".

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Curious what the NEC has to say about trash, water, moisture and/or litter inside electrical panels.

Thank you!

Trash and debris inside the panel present hazards if flammable products (paper, wood chips, sawdust, ect.) are in there, can also indicate failures of equipment seals or presence of insects or rodents all of which can be a hazard. Some issues described might imply a failure within 110.12(A) also 408.7, moisture present can lead to failure and 110.12(B) issue and indicate 312.2 failures.

Status
Not open for further replies.