Transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a contradiction, well, I suppose some company might make a transformer with three coils in the primary and a single center-tapped coil for the sec. but that really seems ridiculous. If you want single-phase out, use single-phase in

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
With 480V to 240/120V single phase transformer, primary you bring 2 phase and one EGC and secondary you get 2 phase and neutral with EGC out? How does that work typically?

Russs57

Occupation
Maintenance Engineer
Can you make do with 208/120V? If so I'd think you are better off going that route with a 3 phase transformer.

Otherwise yes, you can go with 1 phase 480 to 240/120 secondary (Sola ES5H50Sfor example).

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So only the 240/120V side need to be grounded Not the primary 480V?
Secondary only. The 480 volt feeding the primary is already grounded somewhere else.
Ok but secondary conductor I see 2 phases 240/120V does not have neutral? I dont follow which terminal would have neutral?
You're creating a neutral by grounding the secondary.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Secondary only. The 480 volt feeding the primary is already grounded somewhere else.

You're creating a neutral by grounding the secondary.

I dont follow. On the wiring schematic below link which transformer terminal would be the neutral X2, X3?

MD Automation

Occupation
Engineer
I dont follow. On the wiring schematic below link which transformer terminal would be the neutral X2, X3?

Yes. Connect X2 and X3, bond it, and that's your neutral. You can see the ground symbol in the chart below on the next to last line.

This puts both secondary windings in series with the X2-X3 connection used as a center tapped neutral. Which gives you...

X1 to X4 = 240V (voltage across both secondary windings)
X1 to neutral = 120V (voltage across one secondary winding)
X4 to neutral = 120V (voltage across the other secondary winding)

The secondary is pretty much just like any normal single phase POCO transformer feeding a residential house.

1610489454124.png

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The primary is supplied exactly like any other 2-wire, L-L load: two hots and an EGC, just like you said.

The secondary is exactly like a utility supply: bond the neutral to GEC system, begin EGC system there.

Bond either in the transformer, and wire panel like a sub-panel, or bond in the panel, wire like a service.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Straight 240 with no neutral but you can get the idea. The neutral would connect where the SBJ is located.
IMG_20160831_130113.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.