Transformer Room 450.21(B)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junior_EE

We want to install a 225kVA dry type transformer in a mechanical room. According to NEC 450.21(B), code says the transformer needs to be in a transformer room with a 1hr rating.

My question is what is your interpretation of a transformer room? I interpret this to mean a dedicated electrical closet or room with a 1hr rating, with only electrical equipment inside of it. Some colleagues feel that the transformer can sit in a mechanical room if the mechanical room has a 1hr rating. There does not appear to be a definition of a transformer room in the NEC.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Check the 450.21 Exceptions. I would not be surprised to see your transformer met one of the exceptions.

Junior_EE

Check the 450.21 Exceptions. I would not be surprised to see your transformer met one of the exceptions.
I've looked into that but do not know how difficult it is to find a plain NEMA 1 transformer with Class 155 insulation.

Let's assume we can't find a transformer with Class 155 insulation. Can this transformer sit within the mechanical room?

Last edited:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I've looked into that but do not know how difficult it is to find a plain NEMA 1 transformer with Class 155 insulation.

Let's assume we can't find a transformer with Class 155 insulation. Can this transformer sit within the mechanical room?
I think the standard acme distribution transformers are class 220 insulation.

Look at exceptions 1 and 2. Neither requires a transformer room at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.