Transformer Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanT

I am working on a machine circuit design and am trying to determine if my secondary transformer protection is to code. I have 45 KVA transformer 480 volt primary 208y/120v secondary. The secondary will feed 6 circuits with 20amp CB's on each. Is a single large CB also required between the transformer secondary and the six 20amp Circuit Breakers?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Re: Transformer Protection

What is the rating of the primary OCPD? What size are the conductors between the secondary terminals and the 20A breakers? Hpw long are these conductors?
Don

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

taking don's questions into account and applying 408.34 which would require a main breaker is important under an NEC application, however, if this is machine design internal circuits NFPA 70, NEC, is not the applicable code. It would appear the breakers you describe would protect the transformer from overload on the secondary side, but the arrangememt might or might not meet the applicable control cabinet code.

AlanT

Don
The primary CB is 100 amp rated. The wire from secondary tap to distribution block is 0 Gage and 3 foot long. The wire gage from distribution block to 20 amp CB is 12 Gage and 2 foot long. The applicable code is UL508A.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Alen,
The applicable code is UL508A.
I know nothing of that standard, so I can't comment. Assuming that the six twenty amp breakers are not in breaker panel, that installation would be ok with the NEC.
Don

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

UL508A 35.2
Primary protection only for 9 or more amps - 125%.
Primary and secondary protection for 9 or more amps - 250% and 125% respectively.

35.2.2.2 allows mutiple secondary devices where the sum of the ratings does not exceed 125%.

I see nothing in UL508A that addresses (for or against) tapping conductors. It appears this, #0 down to #12, would be between you and your UL inspector.

Status
Not open for further replies.