Transformer humming loudly

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Got a call from one of my guys saying he replaced a transformer that humming loudly, the new one was just as loud. After he sent me the pictures, I wonder how it worked at all! LOL! (Left pic is H's, right is X's, 480 volt step down to 120/240 single phase)

Attachments

• IMG_1518_69d7ec7d2bbacfffdc89ffb7d9516a98.jpeg
    IMG_1518_69d7ec7d2bbacfffdc89ffb7d9516a98.jpeg
    26.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1520_372ce06bf7af517f9f61ef315f1002c5.jpeg
    IMG_1520_372ce06bf7af517f9f61ef315f1002c5.jpeg
    27.8 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I see the brown and orange, no yellow, and I see the green and white wires and the jumpers.

Where does the black wire jumped to the green come from, or go to, whichever is applicable?

hillbilly1

Occupation
The two greens are on H2 and H3 (where the jumper is) The black is on X1 where its supposed to be, the Red is on X4, white on X2 and X3, where they are supposed to be. The issues are the greens! This is stepping down, not up! Don't know who originally wired it, but he copied what they did.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Okay, so it's a 1ph transformer. Knowing that helps. I guessed at step-down. Lemme look again.

Okay, now I know what I'm looking at. Looks like a 240/480 transformer wired for 480 to 120/240v.

There should be nothing on the primary jumper, and the greens should be moved the secondary jumper.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
The two greens are on H2 and H3 (where the jumper is) The black is on X1 where its supposed to be, the Red is on X4, white on X2 and X3, where they are supposed to be. The issues are the greens! This is stepping down, not up! Don't know who originally wired it, but he copied what they did.

That is a dilemma and a waste of time.

I would like to think my guys would have questioned the original install as soon as they opened it, but I couldn't guarantee it. I've never seen it before either. Regardless, they will know as of Monday. Thanks for the pictures.

I assume the correction helped.

hillbilly1

Occupation
That is a dilemma and a waste of time.

I would like to think my guys would have questioned the original install as soon as they opened it, but I couldn't guarantee it. I've never seen it before either. Regardless, they will know as of Monday. Thanks for the pictures.

I assume the correction helped.
Transformers seem to confuse a lot of electricians for some reason. They are really simple once you know how they work. He called back and said it was so quiet he thought it wasn’t working! LOL!

kwired

Electron manager
Okay, so it's a 1ph transformer. Knowing that helps. I guessed at step-down. Lemme look again.

Okay, now I know what I'm looking at. Looks like a 240/480 transformer wired for 480 to 120/240v.

There should be nothing on the primary jumper, and the greens should be moved the secondary jumper.
If the supply is a 480/277 source, that grounded jumper to the primary center tap means each half of primary is seeing 277 instead of 240, extra excitation of the primary coil and will make more noise.

If primary were from a 240/480 source, there would still be some stray current issues, but may not cause any noticeable problems

Status
Not open for further replies.