Transformer Grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigjabe

This is actually embarrassing that I'm asking this, but I can't seem to find the right clauses to back it up... Major brain fart day!

At an industrial site, we have a 600V, 3ph, 3w outdoor panel feeding over to a little temporary 600-120/208V transformer... there's a buried ground electrode around the 600V panel, but nothing at the temporary transformer location. We are running Teck cable (w/ bond wire) from the big panel to the little transformer and I can't for the life of me recall if we need to run a separate ground wire from the buried electrode at the panel to the little transformer Xo (as opposed to using the bond wire in the teck cable). I mean, I'm pretty sure we do, but I can't find the right backup info??

Thanks!

Eddy_Current

This is actually embarrassing that I'm asking this, but I can't seem to find the right clauses to back it up... Major brain fart day!

At an industrial site, we have a 600V, 3ph, 3w outdoor panel feeding over to a little temporary 600-120/208V transformer... there's a buried ground electrode around the 600V panel, but nothing at the temporary transformer location. We are running Teck cable (w/ bond wire) from the big panel to the little transformer and I can't for the life of me recall if we need to run a separate ground wire from the buried electrode at the panel to the little transformer Xo (as opposed to using the bond wire in the teck cable). I mean, I'm pretty sure we do, but I can't find the right backup info??

Thanks!

If the bond wire in the teck feeding the primary of the transformer is large enough to also be the ground for the secondary(#6awg),it can be used as per 2018 code. 10-212(2) and there is a good diagram in appendix B (diagram B 10-11) explaining it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.