Transformer Feeder Tap

elecshop

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I have an existing transformer servicing an industrial building. The service conductors run underground from the transformer to the main switchgear outside.
I want to tap a new feeder from that transformer to service an addition to the building. Can I run the feeder taps along the exterior wall instead of underground trenching? I could not find any restriction in NEC regarding running taps on lengths >25ft, except for mentioning that feeders have to be "protected against physical damage". Is that open to AHJ interpretation, or if I use a RMC conduit / RGC conduit that should be sufficient protection?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
First, are you dealing with service conductors or feeder conductors? You are using both terms.
Is the transformer utility owned or customer owned? Where is the service point?

elecshop

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Transformer is utility owned, and I am adding a new tap to service the new addition. These qualify as service conductors - they terminate in a new meter / CT cabinet.

Transformer is utility owned, and I am adding a new tap to service the new addition. These qualify as service conductors - they terminate in a new meter / CT cabinet.
This is a bit sticky. You have to think about whether this will be a second service, or a second to set of service conductors. If the former, you will need to meet one of the requirements in 230.2 for a second service. If it's the latter, you will need to meet one of the exceptions in 230.40.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
agree with Post #4.. before you address routing you need to confirm the "addition" qualifies as a separate building (fire walls , etc.) or you meed the requirements of 230.2.
IF you satisfy the second service rules IMO running the RMC on the outside of the 1st building would be allowed but I would definitely run it by you AHJ as it is, as electrofelon noted, sticky.

elecshop

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
This addition services a new fire pump room exterior to the building i.e. an addition. There will be a new meter and CT cabinet and a new service disconnect (optional since fire pump does not necessarily require service entrance disconnect / direct connection allowed per NEC 695).
The AHJ would require additional permitting if trenching is required. That's why a suggestion of exterior conduit was brought up.

You have to think about whether this will be a second service, or a second to set of service conductors.
Don't both scenarios necessitate a new meter i.e. a new electric 'service' from a utility standpoint?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Since this is a fire pump there voltage drop requirements in 695.7 that can be come an issue with long runs of conductor, and even with the rating of the service transformer.