Transformer bank

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have POCO transformer bank with three transformers on pole. Each POCO transformer is 100kVA The transformer bank is shown to be feeding customer space that has 200A panelboard. POCO voltage is 208/120V three phase

I am wondering if from experience if POCO transformer size has anyone actually seen to be sized properly or its too big for 200A service?

Last edited:

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I have POCO transformer bank with three transformers on pole. Each POCO transformer is 100kVA The transformer bank is shown to be feeding customer space that has 200A panelboard. POCO voltage is 208/120V three phase

I am wondering if from experience if POCO transformer size has anyone actually seen to be sized properly or its too big for 200A service?
Perhaps it feeds more than your 200 amp service

That's a big bank. I have this one POCO that seems to size their transformers to the LRC of any large motors. I installed a 200A 480 service with one of the loads being a 30 HP motor and they spec'd a 3X100 bank. Then they were out of 100's so they installed 3 167's.......😥

As texie said, it's not your concern as long as the AIC and SCCR of equipment is adequate.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Based on the way utilities often size things, that bank is probably 6x-8x larger than one would expect if the only load is a single customer with a 200A 208V service.

However I agree with the others: the fact that the bank is larger than what might be minimally necessary is not any sort of violation. It might be necessary if other customers are being served, and it might cause a headache if this means that the AIC and SCCR of your equipment needs to be increased beyond the norm. But it isn't a violation.

-Jon

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Maybe they are sizing it for a 3.7kW solar??

;)

:LOL:

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Maybe they are sizing it for a 3.7kW solar??

;)

:LOL:

Ha, ha.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.