Transformer and Delta To Delta fed with wye

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Thats dot convention. It indicates the polarity of the windings. One lead in each winding is marked with a dot. When current flows into the dot in the primary, the induced currents flow out of the dots in the secondaries.

I think it is fair to say that the phase angle dashes are the polyphase analogue to the winding dots. Both indicate the relative phase angle between the transformer primary and secondary.

The dot convention is limited to indicating 0 or 180 degree phase relation, suitable for a single phase _coil_.

The dashed line convention indicates an arbitrary phase relation, suitable for a polyphase set of coils.

-Jonathan

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I think it is fair to say that the phase angle dashes are the polyphase analogue to the winding dots. Both indicate the relative phase angle between the transformer primary and secondary.

The dot convention is limited to indicating 0 or 180 degree phase relation, suitable for a single phase _coil_.

The dashed line convention indicates an arbitrary phase relation, suitable for a polyphase set of coils.

-Jonathan

True.
But sometimes I have to decide how in depth to go on an answer..
Simple until it's asked about deeper.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
True.
But sometimes I have to decide how in depth to go on an answer..
Don't we usually go in so deep with our answers that the OP ends up running off with his fingers in his ears yelling "LALALALA..."? :D