Transfer Equipment 700.5(C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbhwt

Electrical Systems Inspector
Occupation
I understand what 700.5(C) says, is there ever a time when a transfer switch can be repaired?
90.5 Mandatory Rules, Permissive Rules, and Explanatory Material
(A) Mandatory Rules. Mandatory rules of this Code are those that identify actions that are specifically required or prohibited and are characterized by the use of the terms shall or shall not.
90.4 Enforcement. This Code is intended to be suitable for mandatory application by governmental bodies that exercise legal jurisdiction over electrical installations, including signaling and communications systems, and for the use by insurance inspectors. The authority having jurisdiction for enforcement of the code has the responsibility for making interpretations of the rules, for deciding on the approval of equipment and materials, and for granting the special permission contemplated in a number of the rules.

By special permission, the authority having jurisdiction may waive specific requirements in this Code or permit alternative methods where it assured that equivalent objectives can be achieved by establishing and maintaining effective safety.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Simple repair is not reconditioning. If you repair it in place, it has not been reconditioned per the Article 100 definition.

fbhwt

Occupation
Simple repair is not reconditioning. If you repair it in place, it has not been reconditioned per the Article 100 definition.
According to 700.5(C) "shall not be permitted to be reconditioned".
re·con·di·tion
(rē′kən-dĭsh′ən)
tr.v. re·con·di·tioned, re·con·di·tion·ing, re·con·di·tions
To restore to good condition, especially by repairing, renovating, or rebuilding.

fbhwt

Occupation
(A) Mandatory Rules. Mandatory rules of this Code are those that identify actions that are specifically required or prohibited and are characterized by the use of the terms shall or shall not.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
According to 700.5(C) "shall not be permitted to be reconditioned".
re·con·di·tion
(rē′kən-dĭsh′ən)
tr.v. re·con·di·tioned, re·con·di·tion·ing, re·con·di·tions
To restore to good condition, especially by repairing, renovating, or rebuilding.
The only definition that applies is the one found in Article 100.
[/quote]Reconditioned.
Electromechanical systems, equipment, apparatus, or components that are restored to operating conditions. This process differs from normal servicing of equipment that remains within a facility, or replacement of listed equipment on a one-to-one basis. (CMP-10)[/quote]

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
The only definition that applies is the one found in Article 100.
Reconditioned.
Electromechanical systems, equipment, apparatus, or components that are restored to operating conditions. This process differs from normal servicing of equipment that remains within a facility, or replacement of listed equipment on a one-to-one basis. (CMP-10)[/quote]
[/QUOTE]

That pretty much spells it out. It sounds like the main intent is to prevent people from buying salvaged ATS's on places like Ebay, and placing them back in service in a different location or facility.

But it also sounds like it could also be used to require a new ATS when an existing ATS is obviously outdated and past its useful life.

fbhwt

Occupation
May we ask about the nature of the needed repairs?
Sure, military installation, contractor hired to "Replace" transfer switch, transfer switch was not replaced, new or reconditioned switch was used for parts. parts included circuit board and ribbon cable. It seems to me that the AHJ would be the deciding factor. According to 700.5(C) "shall not be permitted to be reconditioned". Now the contractor was hired to replace not repair, if they bought a new transfer it had a warranty but by pulling parts from a new transfer switch to put in an existing installed switch there is no warranty. If they bought a "reconditioned" transfer switch and pulled parts then we have transfer switch that was reconditioned with a transfer switch that was reconditioned. "The authority having jurisdiction for enforcement of the code has the responsibility for making interpretations of the rules, for deciding on the approval of equipment and materials, and for granting the special permission contemplated in a number of the rules."

fbhwt

Occupation
700.5(C) "shall not be permitted to be reconditioned".
Reconditioned.

Electromechanical systems, equipment, apparatus, or components that are restored to operating conditions. This process differs from normal servicing of equipment that remains within a facility, or replacement of listed equipment on a one-to-one basis.

fbhwt

Occupation
Reconditioned.
Electromechanical systems, equipment, apparatus, or components that are restored to operating conditions. This process differs from normal servicing of equipment that remains within a facility, or replacement of listed equipment on a one-to-one basis. (CMP-10)
[/QUOTE]

That pretty much spells it out. It sounds like the main intent is to prevent people from buying salvaged ATS's on places like Ebay, and placing them back in service in a different location or facility.

But it also sounds like it could also be used to require a new ATS when an existing ATS is obviously outdated and past its useful life.
[/QUOTE]
700.5(C) "shall not be permitted to be reconditioned".
Reconditioned.

Electromechanical systems, equipment, apparatus, or components that are restored to operating conditions. This process differs from normal servicing of equipment that remains within a facility, or replacement of listed equipment on a one-to-one basis.

kwired

Electron manager
so if the coil on a control relay or a limit switch that detects status of the main switch fails and you replace that control relay or limit switch, is that an allowable repair or is it "reconditioning"?

How about if the main switch contacts are replaced?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
so if the coil on a control relay or a limit switch that detects status of the main switch fails and you replace that control relay or limit switch, is that an allowable repair or is it "reconditioning"?

How about if the main switch contacts are replaced?
I don't see either of those being "reconditioning" as defined in the NEC.

fbhwt

Occupation
700.5(C) "shall not be permitted to be reconditioned" I'm a little slow, how is replacing a part not "reconditioned "when it says "restored to operating conditions", how do you restore something to operating condition without reconditioning it?

fbhwt

Occupation
Reconditioned. as defined in article 100 says: Electromechanical systems, equipment, apparatus, or components that are restored to operating conditions. This process differs from normal servicing of equipment that remains within a facility, or replacement of listed equipment on a one-to-one basis. 700.5(C) "shall not be permitted to be reconditioned" If I replace a part in the transfer switch it is being restored to operating condition, which is what the definition of Reconditioned.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I see parts replacement as normal servicing and not reconditioning.
Reconditioned.
Electromechanical systems, equipment, apparatus, or components that are restored to operating conditions. This process differs from normal servicing of equipment that remains within a facility, or replacement of listed equipment on a one-to-one basis. (CMP-10)

fbhwt

Occupation
I see parts replacement as normal servicing and not reconditioning.
Parts replacement and normal servicing seem like two different things to me, normal servicing to me would be like replacing a burnt out indicator lamp, parts replacement or any repair that required parts replacement would be to me reconditioning. So 700.5(C) states, shall not be reconditioned.
Reconditioned. as defined in article 100 says: Electromechanical systems, equipment, apparatus, or components that are restored to operating conditions.

fbhwt

Occupation
So if I replace a component (circuit board) and it restored it to operating condition, I have just reconditioned the transfer switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.