Training materials

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfav8r

I was just wondering. I am planning on hiring one of my nephews. He did a year of college and is not planning to return.

He's smart, mechanically inclined and would make a good EC. He can work with me, and maybe take over some day, but I was wondering what the best way get him jump started would be.

Simple things like pictures of LBs, Rain-tight fitings, FMC, or whatever along with their name and what they're for. I started doing this for him with tools and is seems effective but I don't have a lot of time.

Any suggestions about this or training in general?

BTW, I am specifically NOT interested in NEC training. There is plenty off good info. for that.
Thank you.

charlie

Re: Training materials

Get him into formal apprenticeship training. You will leave too many holes in his education that will come back to bite him in the rear. Experience is a very harsh teacher and those lessons would be easier to learn some other way if it exists. :D

bphgravity

I agree with Charlie. Get him some formal education and supplement with on-the-job training. This will provide the most comprehensive and well-rounded experience.

pierre

"BTW, I am specifically NOT interested in NEC training. There is plenty off good info. for that.
Thank you."

Okay, just remember this is a complex industry and training does come in many forms.

Non-NEC related items:
Whenever you install a piece of equipment, hand him the installation instructions that come with them and have him study those. (product manuals are also a great source of info)

Get a copy of the UL White Book, this is loaded with pertinent info that we use everyday.

There are NEMA Standards which you can (or he can) download off of their site for free - they are very informative.

Introduce him to the world of the internet, and he will have resources available to him that he will never be able to exhaust.

The above are a good start :D

[ July 02, 2005, 08:48 AM: Message edited by: pierre ]

sfav8r

Originally posted by charlie:
Get him into formal apprenticeship training. :D
I agree comploetely. In the fall he'll start classes up in Sacramento, I was just looking for stuff to get him started while he works with me this summer.

The other suggestions of installation instructions are a great idea (plus the price is right ;)

mdshunk

I think that providing him copies of manufacturer's full line catalogs would also provide good text for the type of "training" you're talking about. Providing Hubbell, T&B, Square 'D' and AllenBradley catalogs (among others) would be a good start toward material recognition.

When I was very young, I would sit in my father's office and read catalogs for hours and hours.

[ July 02, 2005, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: mdshunk ]

ryan_618

I don't know what state you live in, but it might be worth checking into what the state licensing rules say. I know in utah formal education used to be optional. You used to be able to test for journeyman after 8,000 hours and 4 years of school; or no school and 12,000 hours. Anymore you must have the four years of school, no exceptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.