Trailer Service Repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

5p4rk3b4llz

New User
Occupation
Electrician
So i wanted to know if when doing a pole mount service repair where the pole is completely stripped and the replacement service is built to code, is the existing trailer feeder thats 3 wire required to be replaced with 4 wire for a repair?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
So i wanted to know if when doing a pole mount service repair where the pole is completely stripped and the replacement service is built to code, is the existing trailer feeder thats 3 wire required to be replaced with 4 wire for a repair?
You always have to run 4-wire to a mobile home. That 3-wire feed was never allowed.

5p4rk3b4llz

New User
Occupation
Electrician
Pretty sure it was or they wouldn't have included this exception in the 2017 & 2020 NEC code book.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

growler

The code isn't really written like that, it's written as minimum standards for new construction.

The service on a mobile home can be separate from the feeder in that the service can belong to a mobile home park and the feeder would belong to a tenant. When an inspector comes to inspect the new service and notices that there is a 3 wire feeder to the mobile home he may demand that it be brought up to code.

In my opinion that would require a separate permit if the mobile home is in a park and the feeder belonged to the tenant . If it's on a private lot they may let the feeder be replaced on the service repair permit or they may choose to ignore it.

I would talk to the inspector about this.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Pretty sure it was or they wouldn't have included this exception in the 2017 & 2020 NEC code book.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk
What exception are you referring to? To my knowledge, there has never been an exception allowing only a 3-wire feeder to a mobile home.

Status
Not open for further replies.