Track Lighting Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

dereckbc

Staff member
Hey guys been 20 years since I designed or installed any residential lighting. Just not in my tool box anymore working utilities and telecom for so long. Things have changed considerable in 20 years. Have a friend with an older home and in the kitchen only has one Incandescent Globe Fixure and an ugly one at that. Need to replace it and more light, a lot more light. .

Looks like Track Lighting is the right solution for this retrofit. But this is where I am ignorant on what is available, quality manufactures, and options. I know basically what is needed and I am looking at something like an 8-foot linear track. Here is what I do not know and need to know. What are the current/power limitations. Example if I use an 8-foot track how many LED fixtures can I use. I know I will use LED lamps with 120 VAC power , so power may not be an issue.

Anyone care to help me out? Like links, manufactures, and/or options. Even other alternatives, all comments welcomed.

FWIW my idea is to use an 8-foot track with 6 to 8 cans, dimmable daylight temp LED's. Pun intended, am I on the right track or wet behind the ears?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Home Depot will have a nice selection of track lights, best if you can see in person. They have a Leviton decora dimmer I have been using, its about $22.00. On an 8 ft track it would be very difficult to overload the circuit with LED heads.
I installed a 1 x 4 LED flat panel light from Home Depot, in a kitchen, worked great and is too bright without a dimmer. Recessed can lights IMO would be better than track lighting, you can spread the light out more and avoid shadows, the new LED recessed cans are shallow rings with a remote driver. This would be good option if you can get above the ceiling from above. If not then the track lighting or panel light will be much much better than the globe light

dereckbc

Staff member
Hey Tom long time no see. Hope all is well. Yeah I would prefer can lighting, but it is not my budget or house. Thanks for your input.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
In my opinion, track lighting sucks, unless you're illuminating walls. Ideally, LED recessed lights over the counter edges.

I'd recommend one of the new, thin LED panels, or an LED version of a wrap-around light, or even two butted together.

I would also use ribbon-LED under-cabinet lighting, because a single light source makes kitchen users create shadows.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The new LED thin can lights are about $20.00 each. The flat panel light I installed was $100. Or like Larry said, use two surface mount raps mounted end to end, they will be about $50 - but its getting hard to find them with T-8s. Or use the wraps and put in LED lamps then you can dim.
The flat panel and LED led thin can lights have a switch were you can can change the color temp, I prefer the warm setting. I would make a trip to a big box or lighting store and compare
And yes its nice to see you on the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.