Track lighting in suspended ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

michael

Does track lighting on a suspended ceiling have to be supported independently from the suspended ceiling grid.In addition to the Manufacture's clips that clip onto the track and fasten to the grid. 2002 NEC 410.104 states that the track be securely mounted so that each fastening will be suitable for supporting the maximum weight of the fixtures that can be installed. Thanks for your help.

ryan_618

Re: Track lighting in suspended ceiling

Michael, do you know what building code is adopted in your state? Also, if IBC, do you know what siesmic design category you are in?

If you don't know, you might find one or both on the 1st or 2nd page of the approved plans for the job you are on. Let me know and I'll try to steer you in the right direction tommorrow.

michael

Ryan: Florida Building Code Edition 2001 is noted on blue prints.I do not know the answer to your second question.That is all the information I have on the blueprints.

ryan_618

Hi Michael. I'm sorry, but I don't think I can help you with this one, as I have never seen a Florida building code before.

Many states reference the "CISCA" standards for suspended ceilings. In my state (seiesmic design category D2) we reference the CISCA 3-4, which states that you would have to have wires supporting it. In Florida you are in siesmic design category A, B or C, and reference a different CISCA standard than I do. I tried to find it online but couldn't. You might find your requirement in the ASCE 7 guidline also.

The bottom line is this: Ask your AHJ. Siesmic requirements, for obvious reasons, are geographically based. I hope this helped you, but I doubt it did! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.