Tom Henry's ancient unrelated test questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

M3 Repair

Can anyone give a reasonable explanation why Tom Henry's exam prep materials would ask questions like "What would you use to sharpen an electrician's knife?" or "Should you use a hardened steel hammer on hardened steel?" It's bad enough having to go through this BS all over again 16 yrs later because I moved out of originating licensing state. I don't know anyone who has time to waste with materials like this. I figured I would get a different perspective from other than Mike's materials- seems to be a big mistake.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have no idea why that is on the test prep. I can't believe that would ever be on a test but maybe somewhere they ask those questions. I wouldn't get upset about it though. Mike Holt's material is excellent, however, he has questions that would be geared more toward a journeyman's license. I would just skip those questions.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Can anyone give a reasonable explanation why Tom Henry's exam prep materials would ask questions like "What would you use to sharpen an electrician's knife?" or "Should you use a hardened steel hammer on hardened steel?" It's bad enough having to go through this BS all over again 16 yrs later because I moved out of originating licensing state. I don't know anyone who has time to waste with materials like this. I figured I would get a different perspective from other than Mike's materials- seems to be a big mistake.

they seem like things an electrician should know.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
I never found out. It was in a different state years ago.

Instructions:

1. Turn off power before removing or installing connectors.
2. Strip wires to 1/2 in. (13mm).
3. Straighten wires and align frayed strands.
4. Hold wires together with ends even. Lead stranded wires slightly ahead of solid wires.
5. Pre-twisting is recommended, but not required. For pre-twisting; strip wires long, hold wires
together with insulation even, twist wire ends together, trim to recommended strip length.
6. Insert wire bundle through center of pie-wedge shaped cap and twist clockwise until tight.

480sparky

Instructions:

1. Turn off power before removing or installing connectors.
2. Strip wires to 1/2 in. (13mm).
3. Straighten wires and align frayed strands.
4. Hold wires together with ends even. Lead stranded wires slightly ahead of solid wires.
5. Pre-twisting is recommended, but not required. For pre-twisting; strip wires long, hold wires
together with insulation even, twist wire ends together, trim to recommended strip length.
6. Insert wire bundle through center of pie-wedge shaped cap and twist clockwise until tight.

So you're supposed to write all that as an answer? :blink:

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
You would use a sharpening stone to sharpen a knife. What? You don't have one on your truck? You don't use an electrician's knife you say? You should.

You never want to strike hardened steel with hardened steel such as a hammer. To do so could cause shards to break off and go flying.

These are things electricians should know to be well rounded. I learned them in high school shop class. What? They don't have shop class anymore? They should!

-Hal

Adamjamma

Don’t burn it.. send it to me care of my sister in Georgia..lol... I collect books I can use in a few years to help teach younger people with in Jamaica when I retire..lol... old craft books, old radio books, anything I can get I try to get together on crafts and such so interested kids can learn from them.

What do you use to sharpen an electricians knife? Whatever you want. You'll have all the time in the world to try a bunch of different things after you get fired for wasting time trying to sharpen a utility knife blade instead of just changing it.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
You'll have all the time in the world to try a bunch of different things after you get fired for wasting time trying to sharpen a utility knife blade instead of just changing it.

I can't tell you how many times I have seen guys do that. When the supply of spare blades runs out that are stored in the handle you're out of luck.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.