Tiny houses for the homeless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I saw a news story about clusters of tiny houses (94 sq ft). The individual units had no kitchen or bathroom. There is a common kitchen and bathroom building. These are in Colorado and are used to house the homeless. It got me thinking about how I would wire such a place.

Each of the individual tiny houses had interior receptacles and built-in lighting, a porch light, and an external receptacle. I saw a window a/c unit. They are in a cold climate so I’m going to assume they either have heaters in the a/c units or separate space heaters. One resident said he had a fridge. (I assume a dorm sized one.)

Cost was a major factor, so what is the least costly way to wire these units? Here is what I thought. Each unit has two 20 amp circuits. One dedicated circuit for the a/c and heat and one circuit for everything else. These circuits terminate in a two slot interior panel. The panel is fed with 120v (not 240v) so the two split phase sides are jumpered. Having a panel on each unit allows the residents to control their own breakers in case of overload. Conduit runs from the panel to under the unit crawl space and into a junction box. This is where the feeder would be attached.

One or more central common meters feed main distribution panels with a one pole 40 amp breaker* for each housing unit. Underground feeders feed each unit. Since it’s a 120v feed, only one hot wire is required (a cost savings in wire and conduit). The main distribution panel can be locked to avoid residents turning off a neighbor’s power. The residents pay rent. Due to the nature of the place, I’m assuming the organization running the place would provide the electricity as part of rent.

A common 200 amp service could handle 5 or 6 units. A common 320 amp service (with two 200 amp panels) could handle 8 to 10. The largest cluster I read about was 14 units plus the common building.

* I saw a post a week or so back about single pole 40, 50, and 60 amp breakers being available and what you would use one for. Here is an example.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
2 thoughts:
I suspect that wire and breakers for a 20A 120/240V MWBC will be cheaper than wire for a 120V 40A circuit.
Normal residential service is 120/240V, so your suggested 4800VA per unit probably means that a 200A service could supply at least 8 units.

Jon

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
If it is a 40A 120V feeder to each unit, a 120/240 200A service can service 10 of them at minimum (that is 200A on each leg of the service). If you can count on a demand factor, you could maybe exceed that. But I don't see much headroom.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
2 thoughts:
I suspect that wire and breakers for a 20A 120/240V MWBC will be cheaper than wire for a 120V 40A circuit.
Normal residential service is 120/240V, so your suggested 4800VA per unit probably means that a 200A service could supply at least 8 units.
If it is a 40A 120V feeder to each unit, a 120/240 200A service can service 10 of them at minimum (that is 200A on each leg of the service). If you can count on a demand factor, you could maybe exceed that. But I don't see much headroom.

Yes I made a noob mistake and miscounted the VA in the panel. As for demand factor, I was concerned about factoring that in. I figured it was likely everybody would have their a/c or heater on at the same time. The other circuit has more variation. Certainly lights could all be on simultaneously, but not sure how many hair dryers would be coincident.

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
The nice thing about an interior panel is they can then open it and put in larger breakers, or bypass them all together.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
This where the NEC does way more harm then good. In cases like this it just drives up the cost being one more law in the system which keep the homeless, homeless.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
This where the NEC does way more harm then good. In cases like this it just drives up the cost being one more law in the system which keep the homeless, homeless.

From what I read, zoning laws keep these tiny house villages from being built in most places. That and the "not in my backyard" neighbors.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
From what I read, zoning laws keep these tiny house villages from being built in most places. That and the "not in my backyard" neighbors.

There is reason so few countries follow, copy or adopt our laws NEC in parcular included. Except the US constitution, none of it is in man's benefit.

I'd have no issue in using a 50 or 30 amp main like most other countries.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Were located in a mixed industrial/ residential area on the 'wrong side of the tracks'.
We wired a Tiny house village near our shop as a volunteer project a few years ago.
Its on city owned property and run by a church.
Crime in our area went down dramatically.
Kids can use the parks again its a great solution.
Its a great solution, I got some 'blow back' from long time neighbose
I sized the feeders based on 2017 NEC 225.39(D) 60 Amp 120/240.
I realize its just the 'Rating of Disconnect'. For any 'other' type outbuilding with more than two circuits I specify a 60Amp feeder.

retirede

We have an organization in our area that builds what they call tiny houses and gives them to homeless veterans.
The last one was 574 square feet. I guess ‘tiny’ is all relative.

I plan to volunteer to help with the next one.

Status
Not open for further replies.