Timer switch for solar inverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJMaxPower

New User
Occupation
Engineer
Hi,

I am working on several remote FM transmission sites where the power will be coming from PV solar arrays. To save battery power, we would like the 3000W inverter at each of these sites to be scheduled to automatically switch off at 9pm and then start again at 6am when our listeners start listening. I can't find an inverter with a built-in timer. Can anyone suggest a product or solution that could help us do this?

Thanks,

Max
Broadcast Engineer

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Hi,

I am working on several remote FM transmission sites where the power will be coming from PV solar arrays. To save battery power, we would like the 3000W inverter at each of these sites to be scheduled to automatically switch off at 9pm and then start again at 6am when our listeners start listening. I can't find an inverter with a built-in timer. Can anyone suggest a product or solution that could help us do this?

Thanks,

Max
Broadcast Engineer
A timer connected to a set of contactors seems like the simplest solution to me, although the natural timing of available sunlight conforms to that schedule pretty well. But how does shutting down a PV inverter save battery power?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer

Just the first example I found for a 30A timer switch. You can find and compare many others, I'm sure. Looks like a lot of products intended for pool pumps out there. You might be able to use a much lesser rated similar item depending on your actual loads.

Just disconnect the load, if you don't have another way to stop the load from drawing overnight. I don't know why you'd need the inverter itself to shut down. Probably better if it doesn't.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
A timer connected to a set of contactors seems like the simplest solution to me, although the natural timing of available sunlight conforms to that schedule pretty well. But how does shutting down a PV inverter save battery power?
Rereading the OP, I see that he never refers to the inverter as a PV inverter. Possibly he is talking about a battery inverter powering the transmitter that he wants to shut down between 9PM and 6AM. I think he may just mean that he wants to turn off the transmitter at night.

BillK-AZ

If the OP (in Chad, Africa) wants to disconnect a battery inverter to eliminate no-load loss, a DC powered digital clock timer (search "TM-619", available worldwide) and a suitable relay to disconnect the DC power can be used. Some battery inverters have a low power control input. This timer has isolated contacts and an internal battery for timekeeping.

Status
Not open for further replies.