Three wire or fan box required?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, I've lost track...is there a new NEC requirement for a three wire and/or fan box in residential ceilings? I remember talk about this in the past, but can't remember if it was just a proposal, or a local requirement, or just a dream......🤔

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The following is in the 2020 code in 314.27(C).
... Outlet boxes mounted in the ceilings of habitable rooms of dwelling occupancies in a location acceptable for the installation of a ceiling-suspended (paddle) fan shall comply with one of the following:
(1) Listed for the sole support of ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans
(2) An outlet box complying with the applicable requirements of 314.27 and providing access to structural framing capable of supporting of a ceiling-suspended (paddle) fan bracket or equivalent
The previous language was:
Where spare, separately switched, ungrounded conductors are provided to a ceiling-mounted outlet box, in a location acceptable for a ceiling-suspended (paddle) fan in one-family, two-family, or multifamily dwellings, the outlet box or outlet box system shall be listed for sole support of a ceiling-suspended (paddle) fan.

This is a big change for the 2020, to require fan boxes at most dwelling unit ceiling locations. The change reflects the fact that often homeowners will install a fan, and with most fans having remote controls, fans are installed at locations that do not have a spare conductor.

NTesla76

Occupation
Electrics
I wasn't aware the language regarding the spare conductor was removed for 2020. Interesting.

The following is in the 2020 code in 314.27(C).

The previous language was:

This is a big change for the 2020, to require fan boxes at most dwelling unit ceiling locations. The change reflects the fact that often homeowners will install a fan, and with most fans having remote controls, fans are installed at locations that do not have a spare conductor.
Thanks Don for posting that. Looks like it was not a dream!

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Manufacturers instructions.

most say 7’ or 7’6” minimum depending on make of fan. They want about 8” of clearance from the fan to the ceiling, so I would say a 7’6” ceiling wouldn’t be acceptable

Manufacturers instructions.

most say 7’ or 7’6” minimum depending on make of fan. They want about 8” of clearance from the fan to the ceiling, so I would say a 7’6” ceiling wouldn’t be acceptable
Yeah I couldn't think of anything besides manufacturer's instructions. I don't think there is anything in the building codes. Personally I don't like to install them where the blades are within reach for a person of average height

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Yeah I couldn't think of anything besides manufacturer's instructions. I don't think there is anything in the building codes. Personally I don't like to install them where the blades are within reach for a person of average height
Only thing in building codes is min ceiling height. Nothing about fans.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Wow have not read that yet. Glad were not on 2020 yet. Looks like option 2 allows you to still use a regular nail up if you can access the faming.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I see installing and wiring fan boxes as a deluxe feature to charge for, not a lost expense.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I'm not really sure what (2) means. Does that mean if it's over a joist? What about if the joist is on the side of the hole? Couldn't I get "access" to framing members always by using one of those remodel spreader type fan braces?
I was thinking the same similar to that. It seems like its up for interpretation as for as "access". Though I still read 2 as you can still use a regular outlet box if it meets 314.27

Status
Not open for further replies.