Three way switched ceiling fans ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2_BEARS

This may seem a stupid question...but my plans show three way switched ceiling fans that have lights also. Unless someone invented this switching device when I was not paying attention.....I have in the past swithced the lights only on the fans with three way switches with no problem. Is this what the plans are calling for? I have also in the past provided an constant hot to the fans motor for remote operation. What other options are available for 3 way switching ceiling fans that have lights also? THNX

jimwalker

Re: Three way switched ceiling fans ?

Unusual to 3 way the fan but no reason it cant be.If plans show 3 way for both light and fan then i suggest doing so.No big deal just 2 more travelers.Remotes make more since for this type of install.All i do for fans that turn into remotes is bypass one switch .That way it can be returned to normal later.

2_BEARS

OKAY ? Second set of travellers. this includes a second switch ? What about fan speed control ?Some fans are in vaulted ceiling.

jimwalker

Depends on print.If it shows 2 sets of 3 ways then you must.If it only showed 2 switches then thats all they get.Spec sheet should tell you.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I am inclined to guess that this was an oversight or on the part of the designer. I suggest that you ask either the owner or the designer your question. I generally like to play dumb in these situations. I say something like, "Am I understanding your desires correctly? Do you want me to design (or in your case, 'wire') it this way? I just want to make sure I do it the way you want it done."

2_BEARS

I still don't get it though...how do you have a three way on the motor control ? My supply house sez," no such animal as a 3 way fan/light control.

peter d

Originally posted by 2_BEARS:
I still don't get it though...how do you have a three way on the motor control ?
You don't. If you want a wall-box speed control, you can't have a 3-way setup.

You have to choose one or the other.

macmikeman

Lutron used to have one. Since about 5 years ago they don't make them any more. The 3 way part was for the light only, and it had a fan slide for the fan from one location.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

I find it hard to believe that someone doesn't make a fan control that is also a three-way switch. I'd check with your supply house.

I'd imagine you'd have a three-way switch at one location, and the three-way fan control in the other location.

Switch the lights with two threeways, or a 3-way dimmer and a 3-way switch.

If by some happenstance the supply says they don't make them, then simply wire it thusly:

Box #1: Two-gang
switch #1: power side of light-kit threeway
switch #2: power side of fan-motor threeway

Two runs of three-wire between them...

Box #2: Three-gang
switch #1: switchleg side of light kit threeway
switch #2: switchleg side of fan-motor threeway
switch #3: single-pole Fan speed control

The common of "box #2, switch #2" would be a jumper from the common to the line-side of the fan speed control, and the switchleg for the fan motor would be tied to the load-side of the fan-speed control (not the threeway, like the light kit).

There's always a way. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.