theoretical question

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Dont forget that 800.156 or 805.156 requires at least something be provided.
800.156 Dwelling Unit Communications Outlet. For new
construction, a minimum of one communications outlet shall
be installed within the dwelling in a readily accessible area and
cabled to the service provider demarcation point.

Have to laugh at how far behind the times these articles are.

-Hal

kwired

Electron manager
Dont forget that 800.156 or 805.156 requires at least something be provided. Running cat6 and rg6 to a suitable location for a wireless access point would be wise along with 120V power. The office/den seems logical unless it is at the far end of a house. Ideal is a closet where you can home run cat6 and bring outside sources like phone, cable to it. Provide a path from that closet to attic and basement/crawl if they exist. Vaulted ceiling on a slab is the worst for future expansion.
to the service demarc point. I been running into new homes that have no such service run a cable to.

4x4dually

Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Ex-Electrician
Don't forget that 800.156 or 805.156 requires at least something be provided. Running cat6 and rg6 to a suitable location for a wireless access point would be wise along with 120V power. The office/den seems logical unless it is at the far end of a house. Ideal is a closet where you can home run cat6 and bring outside sources like phone, cable to it. Provide a path from that closet to attic and basement/crawl if they exist. Vaulted ceiling on a slab is the worst for future expansion.
Bingo. I'm planning on using the top half of a hallway cabinet for "media." I'll have the fiber optic pulled into that space through conduit I'll place in the slab and all the conversion, phone, wifi, etc will all be out of that cabinet which is fairly centrally located in the house.

retirede

to the service demarc point. I been running into new homes that have no such service run a cable to.

Right…The demarcation point was introduced when people were first allowed to own their own telephone equipment. It provided an easy way for the phone company to tell whether a service problem was their’s vs the customer’s.

I suspect this code section was written specifically for phone lines, which aren’t even a thing on new residential construction any more.

kwired

Electron manager
Right…The demarcation point was introduced when people were first allowed to own their own telephone equipment. It provided an easy way for the phone company to tell whether a service problem was their’s vs the customer’s.

I suspect this code section was written specifically for phone lines, which aren’t even a thing on new residential construction any more.
And even other communications services are becoming nearly all wireless at the consumer end in many cases.

If one absolutely must have one "outlet" but it doesn't state where, then put one surface phone jack on exterior of home near the electric meter socket and leave a few inches of cable stick out of it and say it will enter the demark enclosure.... if there ever is one.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Have to laugh at how far behind the times these articles are.

-Hal
I wrote a proposal to have this stupid requirement deleted from the NEC for the 2017 cycle because it was already obsolete by then. The CMP rejected it. Here in NJ the powers that be removed it from the state electrical code by local amendment.

kwired

Electron manager
I wrote a proposal to have this stupid requirement deleted from the NEC for the 2017 cycle because it was already obsolete by then. The CMP rejected it. Here in NJ the powers that be removed it from the state electrical code by local amendment.
No amending out of any art 800 items here, but for most part art 800 items are not really enforced either, other than maybe if the communications utilities/contractors decide to support their items from power and lighting items or something of that nature.

Phone company years back loved to attach an overhead drop to electric service masts, then strap the cable to the mast on the way down to their interface box. Got away with it a lot until doing it to a new service that is to get inspected, then it sort of became the EC's job to get it taken care of though so he can get his final inspection cleared.

Status
Not open for further replies.