theoretical question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeNorm

Let's say you're asked to wire a simple new construction house with nothing fancy and no plans. Besides all the power wiring what low voltage/communication wires what are you running as "just in case"? With everything being wireless I wonder if maybe nothing?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Empty PVC stub-ups and/or stub-downs into attic and/or crawlspaces, respectively, and a larger one between the two spaces if appropriate.

The other option is a coax and a CAT-x cable from each room to a home-run point, and maybe two of each from there to an outside point.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I make it a point to ask the home owner what they may need or want, and where they want it. That usually leads to a call to the internet provider, TV (cable or satellite) provider, and, (very unlikely these days) the phone provider. If they don't want anything, I might suggest a chase/conduit of some sort for future in case they change their minds.

egnlsn

Occupation
A/V/Security Technician
Empty PVC stub-ups and/or stub-downs into attic and/or crawlspaces, respectively, and a larger one between the two spaces if appropriate.

The other option is a coax and a CAT-x cable from each room to a home-run point, and maybe two of each from there to an outside point.
If not the conduit, I would do 2 of each type to each location.

farmantenna

I wired a house with RG6 and Cat5E to every TV location and then Best Buy sold them a Mesh WIFI system and all the TVs are wireless using Apps. Only the Main tv used the RG6 and that went into the cable box.
These tv guys are way ahead of me. Even house owner was lost

JoeNorm

I wired a house with RG6 and Cat5E to every TV location and then Best Buy sold them a Mesh WIFI system and all the TVs are wireless using Apps. Only the Main tv used the RG6 and that went into the cable box.
These tv guys are way ahead of me. Even house owner was lost
All home runs from a low voltage panel?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Best Buy sold them a Mesh WIFI system and all the TVs are wireless using Apps. Only the Main tv used the RG6 and that went into the cable box.

And in a couple of years when one of those TV craps out what happens if they don't make them anymore or Best Buy is gone? I stay away from "the latest, cutting edge techi stuff". I also don't like to use WiFi for anything unless I have to. WiFi is for people who are too lazy or cheap to install wiring. If anything, broadband cable will be replaced with steaming, which will eliminate coax in the premises in favor of Ethernet UTP. Matter of fact I don't understand why everything isn't streaming now with cable companies only providing internet access.

-Hal

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Let's say you're asked to wire a simple new construction house with nothing fancy and no plans. Besides all the power wiring what low voltage/communication wires what are you running as "just in case"? With everything being wireless I wonder if maybe nothing?
IMO the minimum to each location would be one RG6 and Cat 6 all run back to a central location where the demark would be. Empty raceways are better because they are more future proof.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
If they don't want them and don't want any future proofing, do you guys just throw it in anyway on your dime (doubt it) , Or just throw it in the cost on original bid. Just wondering?
Doing a house right now were they don't want anything and don't want to pay for future proofing.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I am, though it seem from this post, that even if they don’t call low voltage, some are future proofing..
Was just wondering how they handled it, if they like to future proof and owner does not want.
i am probably misunderstanding.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
My thoughts are you‘re wasting their money unless you plumb the whole house at every 1’X1’ interval with conduit…
I built this last house 23 years ago. Pipe from crawl space to attic “just in case”… Never used.
rg6 and phone lines to different spots all around the house.
this brand new “Cat5” cable that was the future and going to be lightning fast…
Even ran speaker wires through the house for ceiling mounted speakers. Only one in use now, in the wife’s bathroom..

As I’ve lived here now the phone lines haven’t been used in 10-15 years, I went to VOIP, now cellular only. No house phone.
it was never for me anyway, everyone that called it wanted me to vote for them or sell me something..
four years ago the RG6 lays there dead, all but one to the modem/router upstairs.
All tvs on wireless, and a mini mesh network through the house.
NEVER used that awesome CAT5 nor half the rg6 cables.
Found out also that where the terminals were ended up in the wrong place as my wife’s decorative floor plans changed about once every 4-5 years…

kwired

Electron manager
And in a couple of years when one of those TV craps out what happens if they don't make them anymore or Best Buy is gone? I stay away from "the latest, cutting edge techi stuff". I also don't like to use WiFi for anything unless I have to. WiFi is for people who are too lazy or cheap to install wiring. If anything, broadband cable will be replaced with steaming, which will eliminate coax in the premises in favor of Ethernet UTP. Matter of fact I don't understand why everything isn't streaming now with cable companies only providing internet access.

-Hal
I think it is gradually coming to that.

Out here in the middle of nowhere your over the air TV options are somewhat limited, so cable and satellite systems are still preferred by many that are not much into the more complex to learn streaming services, those people just want to simply press an up or down arrow on a remote to switch to a different "channel" and even with those can get into some mode they don't understand or know how to get back to the "regular mode"

Younger people, almost all seem to have gone exclusively to streaming services and not only at home but anywhere they go with their mobile devices, and is a mix of middle aged people that are doing this and others are not.

Out here in middle of nowhere there is still some that are lucky to find some kind of wireless internet service though it may have speed limits and/or data caps, those people often still depend on satellite TV services more so than streaming apps, but there is becoming more ISP's available to meet the needs.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
There is a standard for this type of work:

What's required by that standard is pretty much what others have said here. But the problem with it is it's one thing to say run two CAT6's etc. to each location. What location? When I was doing this, I had to guess where the occupants will have their TV in places like the bedroom. Often, I guessed wrong and the outlet I installed was clear across the room. Today it's even more difficult with computers etc. So, the only solution is to install outlets at least on each wall of each room or get with the occupant to get their feedback. Neither of these is going to be realistic which is why most efforts to prewire are in vain.

-Hal

4x4dually

Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Ex-Electrician
No one has mentioned it, so I will. Speakers to back porch or other gathering areas and/or living rooms. We are designing a home for ourselves currently and this is something that popped into my head the other day. As other's have said, better to have and not use than need and not have. $.02

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Dont forget that 800.156 or 805.156 requires at least something be provided. Running cat6 and rg6 to a suitable location for a wireless access point would be wise along with 120V power. The office/den seems logical unless it is at the far end of a house. Ideal is a closet where you can home run cat6 and bring outside sources like phone, cable to it. Provide a path from that closet to attic and basement/crawl if they exist. Vaulted ceiling on a slab is the worst for future expansion.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Dont forget that 800.156 or 805.156 requires at least something be provided. Running cat6 and rg6 to a suitable location for a wireless access point would be wise along with 120V power. The office/den seems logical unless it is at the far end of a house. Ideal is a closet where you can home run cat6 and bring outside sources like phone, cable to it. Provide a path from that closet to attic and basement/crawl if they exist. Vaulted ceiling on a slab is the worst for future expansion.
These days many access points and routers accept POE, so you do not necessarily even have to run 120V power if you have a central wire hub with power available.

Status
Not open for further replies.