Theatre Work

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Anyone ever work in theater or spacer where this type of slope seating? I know this may be a dunb question but when installing overhead/ceiling work you'd be working of the slab/floor and not the sloped flooring that the seating are attached to? This all all new work,space is gutted.

1715345043160.png

kwired

Electron manager
Looks unexcavated below so no "flat" slab across the space. Unless there is some special lifts out there for this kind of situation typical scissor lifts or other wheeled man lifts are not going to necessarily work out so well.

I could see this kind of job having scaffolding set up through the entire space and anyone that needs to do work on the ceiling needs to do their work while that scaffolding is set up.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Anyone ever work in theater or spacer where this type of slope seating? I know this may be a dunb question but when installing overhead/ceiling work you'd be working of the slab/floor and not the sloped flooring that the seating are attached to? This all all new work,space is gutted.

View attachment 2571586
In this particular case, you'll be working off the slope. Look in the big white area at the bottom right where it says "UNEXCAVATED".

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We did a Broadway theater several years ago and the sloped portion had a "rat slab" which is basically a pre-slab. All of the low ceiling work was installed off of the rat slab and then the permanent stepped slab was poured over the rat slab. That allows you to finish the ceiling work under a balcony (if there is one) without having to deal with all of the steps. The high ceilings are typically built from on top of a scaffold that covers the entire theater.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Looks unexcavated below so no "flat" slab across the space. Unless there is some special lifts out there for this kind of situation typical scissor lifts or other wheeled man lifts are not going to necessarily work out so well.

I could see this kind of job having scaffolding set up through the entire space and anyone that needs to do work on the ceiling needs to do their work while that scaffolding is set up.
Thanks a lot..do you think it would be a common scaffold provided by GC?

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
We did a Broadway theater several years ago and the sloped portion had a "rat slab" which is basically a pre-slab. All of the low ceiling work was installed off of the rat slab and then the permanent stepped slab was poured over the rat slab. That allows you to finish the ceiling work under a balcony (if there is one) without having to deal with all of the steps. The high ceilings are typically built from on top of a scaffold that covers the entire theater.
So it could be a common scaffolding provided by GC?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
So it could be a common scaffolding provided by GC?
Could and should be. I would clarify what the GC is going to do before submitting my proposal, it might be the difference in whether I bid the job or not.

I have done a couple of theatres from start and the GC's provided scaffolding per OSHA specs for a set amount of time. The subs had to be done by the scheduled time frame or make their own arrangements to finish.

Beware that architects/engineers are notoriously bad with theaters- drawings showing crossed pipes (like connecting a speakers JB to a mic JB), inadequate facilities (two lighting circuits to a 10' bar), and in one particular case they had planned a 70 amp 3-ph sub-panel in the projection booth (the projection vendor laughed and said, "No, more like 150 amp and HVAC to cover it.").

Even the supposed theatrical consultants mess these things up, I've see too many just stupid errors or omissions.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
10 trades to install up top...wow that's a lot.
From my experience on a medium size theater in no particular order:

Structural iron workers
Ornamental iron workers
Steamfitters
Sprinkler-fitters
Framing carpenters
Lathers
Fire-proofers
Tapers
Painters
Wood workers
Tel/Data installers
Security system installers
AV installers
Power and Lighting installers
Fire Alarm installer

And last but not least Laborers. :giggle:

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
From my experience on a medium size theater in no particular order:

Structural iron workers
Ornamental iron workers
Steamfitters
Sprinkler-fitters
Framing carpenters
Lathers
Fire-proofers
Tapers
Painters
Wood workers
Tel/Data installers
Security system installers
AV installers
Power and Lighting installers
Fire Alarm installer

And last but not least Laborers. :giggle:
:)

Knightryder12

Occupation
Sr. Electrical Designer/Project Manager

View attachment 2571586
The last one we did like this. The GC had scaffolding set up in the entire space. GXC provided it because of all the work that was required to be done by all the trades. Scaffolding was set up once all the concrete stairs/levels were poured of course.