The value of the forum

Sberry

Occupation
farmer electrician
This is in general, but I been on these a long time and get/got to see 100's (myself) and see 1000's of installs now done correct because of the discussion, the will and the ability and might need to add patyience to splainb something till the next guy gets it, figures out how to teach it. I got some buds near brilliant, got a couple that hold every paper, couldnt teach a rat to fug if they had a phd in it.
I got a bud has a gravy job for an agency gives little code compliance classes somewhere every day between donuts for ag. We bout the same age and I remember his early interest in power and met him again recent and pecked just a bit to see if he really,,, really understood a couple fundamental issues with service and second panel installs and,,,, he did, could send this guy to wire a service correct anywhere and he is a diy type.
Had his own house fully inspected, piped most of it, said the inspector commented on that as being unusual but slapped the green to it.
I am about sure some study from the net along with a bit of coaching but we see more and more "lay: people now with above average trade skill level, the interest is hi and they can seek the info. I

Sberry

Occupation
farmer electrician
I have heard the comment, you shouldnt be asking something like that on the internet, mmm go find a local guy and ask. First who and how would they feel about being pestered by a bunch of diy questions and even the bums are local to someone. Second,,, most forums with serious electric section have more than one master looks in on occasion, heck we got electric police check forums daily to make sure you dont hurt yourself. Bad or improper stuff on a forum similar to this will get corrected fast, not always so in person by everyone.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
I agree with the concept of "No man is an island".

Even though internet forums are like opinion surveys that reveal more wrong doing than good advise.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Nothing wrong with seeking advice. This field is deep and wide. Few if any have seen it all. I don't think I've posted anything here that someone didn't know about. Great forum, fine people.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
"No man is an island".

'No Man is an Island'​

No man is an island entire of itself; every man
is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;
if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe
is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as
well as any manner of thy friends or of thine
own were; any man's death diminishes me,
because I am involved in mankind.
And therefore never send to know for whom
the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

--John Donne

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC

'No Man is an Island'​

--John Donne
I never actually read that before.

Thanks for sharing.

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020

'No Man is an Island'​

--John Donne
ever wonder why it takes some well written or versed phiisophical perspective to describe a basic concept for others to grasp on too.

Sberry

Occupation
farmer electrician
Its a round about way of letting some of the guys that do a good job on forums know a lot of people are reading them. Lots more professionals should be reading it too. The diy gets a lot of lame for shabby work,,, he has an excuse, he doesnt know any better. As I said earlier, forget I have a camera sometimes. I am just getting in and tired,, just decided anything I write wont make much sense at this point aither,,m, ha

macmikeman

This forum is good for introduction of Mike Holt enterprises to various helpers who google a problem an the forum pops up with answers. I think it is safe to say the vast amount of superior electrical training at this site is not up for argument and serves the industry absolutely top notch. If the forum lure's in new electrical workers who then go on to purchasing learning materials the whole industry benefits from this endeavor.

Sberry

Occupation
farmer electrician
I bet a guy could learn from the forums without spending another nickel on learning materials. Not just "professionals" directly so to speak that learn from it but soooo many others incl the diy gang. We now have a lot of those part timers way above a lot of guys that draw a paycheck in the trade.
We got a call,,, I cant believe it, was a welding customer was in a jamb and had hired a guy off the side type deal, the guy says, I am union electrician and had apprenticeship,,, ran a simple 120V circuit and only got one thing in it quasi correct, seems someone would have suggested box connectors, how gfci and overcurrent worked and that he wasnt sposed to bury the yellow wire.

Last edited: