Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Re: The use of 'LB's

Dave,
I am just applying the code rule as it appears in 314.28(A)(3). If the conduit body is not listed for the number and size of conductors, then you must follow the requirements of 314.23(A)(1) and (A)(2). As this point the size and number of conductors is limited only by the raceway wire fill requirements.
Don

jwelectric

I can see and understand every thing that has been said thus far. There has been some good math and a couple of fine points made. Now let me see if I can put it all together and tell what I have learned here from this discussion.
What is a ?LB?? I think that this is an angle pull. This is to say that I am changing direction ninety degrees with my conductors. So I go to ?314.28 Pull and Junction Boxes and Conduit Bodies? this being used as a place to pull through. Now go to ?(2) Angle or U Pulls? this six times of raceway. But I see this ?Exception: Where a raceway or cable entry is in the wall of a box or conduit body opposite a removable cover, the distance from that wall to the cover shall be permitted to comply with the distance required for one wire per terminal in Table 312.6(A)? Here I find four and one half inches. So where is the problem?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

jwelectric,
That only covers one direction. Most LBs do not have 6 times the conduit size between the conduit entry and the side without the removable cover.
don

jwelectric

Brother Don not 6 times only 4 1/2 inches per Table 312.6(A). When using a LB the cover is oppisite the entry/exit so now we use the same space that we would in a panel where we terminate ao the breaker ect.... read the exception.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

jwelectric,
I think that you need to read the exception. It only applies to one of the two conduit entries in a LB. The other must comply with the 6x rule.
Exception: Where a raceway or cable entry is in the wall of a box or conduit body opposite a removable cover, the distance from that wall to the cover shall be permitted to comply with the distance required for one wire per terminal in Table 312.6(A).
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.