The Old Classified Breaker Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphgravity

I am writing an article and want to make sure I cover all angles when it comes to use of classified breakers.

Bottom Line: A manufacturer may choose to have their breaker classified for use in other panelboards. These breakers meet the listing requirements for use in the other panelboard. The labeling on the panelboard may indicate that only breakers manufactured by the same company are to be used in the panelboard however this is not a listing or labeling instruction (110.3(B), but only a manufacturers suggestion and recommendation for compliance with their warranty and guarantee.

It is the responsibility of the inspector to determine compliance with the listing of the classified breaker and the wording by the manufacturer cannot be enforced as a 110.3(B) violation.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Re: The Old Classified Breaker Discussion

Bryan,
I would say that it is the responsibility of the installer to provide the information that says that the breaker has been classified for use in the panel that he has installed it in. Note that there are restrictions on the use of classified breakers, (without looking) I think that they are limited to use in systems where the available fault current is 5,000 amps or less.
Don

jbwhite

how about: it is the responsibility of the inspector to insure that the breaker to be installed is listed as suitable for the panelboard in which it is installed. the panel board manufacturer's list of approved breakers should not be interperated as the only breakers that can be used in their panelboard, but only as their reccomendation for breakers that meet their warrenty requirements.

why arent these things written in a language that we poor dumb electricians can understand.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

jb,
it is the responsibility of the inspector to insure that the breaker to be installed is listed as suitable for the panelboard in which it is installed.
I don't think so. The classified breaker must be provided with a list of panels that it has been classified for use in per the UL standard. The installer has that information, not the inspector. The installer needs to provide it to the inspector.
Don

jbwhite

Originally posted by don_resqcapt19:
jb,
it is the responsibility of the inspector to insure that the breaker to be installed is listed as suitable for the panelboard in which it is installed.
I don't think so. The classified breaker must be provided with a list of panels that it has been classified for use in per the UL standard. The installer has that information, not the inspector. The installer needs to provide it to the inspector.
Don
responsibility of installer to provide and inspector to insure.

i have had to prove that equipment was listed for the use in the past. i provided, the inspector insured.

Status
Not open for further replies.