Texas' New Law

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if anybody has heard of Texas' new law concerning Electricans. For the first time, Texas is requiring liceseing by 09/01/2004. Now as part of their Grandfather clause people may test out their license. Texas has made many licenses availible includung one called the residential wireman.

Basicly my concern is that people can get a license who may not be really qualified to do work. Someone say like me. I could test out with the stuff I see on my jobs and learn in here and become licensed to install residental jobs.

What does anyone else think? Saftey? Wages for the Master Electrican? Insurance? :eek: Here is a link to the new Texas law so you can read the deffintions. :eek:

http://www.texascontractorslicensingservices.com/pdf/electricianslaw.pdf

[ April 20, 2004, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: ephesus56ad ]

G

Re: Texas' New Law

Why settle for the residential wiremans license? You sound smart enough to "test out" for a masters license. :eek:

The problem is not me. I know that I am not qualified to be an electrican. But I have seen a practice test and I could pass it. I feel that I could put in a celling fan, but the rest of the house, I don't know.

As I said, My concernes lie with; How will this affect electricans pay? Does this make electricans obsolete in residental areas? Will it make all our G.L. premeiums go up? How safe do you think this is.

How smart I am does not matter. I am smart enough to do what I am good at, sell jobs and frame out. I am also smart enough to let my electrican do his work and he let me do mine. We all seem to get along that way

Oh and I don't want a licence, I just tring to other peoples thoughts.

bert47

I have been licensed in Texas for many years in various municipal areas. (journeyman, master, and contractor) I have supported and campaigned for a statewide electrical regulatory agency for years and welcome this initiative to bring it about. There are many "electric want-to-be's" out there burning down structures regularly that need to be controlled. My concern with this new law is in how to enforce it. Texas, like other states and the Fed is good at passing law without the means of enforcement. Local city government will still inspect within their jurisdictions but areas outside of that will need a state inspector which could become a problem if they are staffed like other inspection agencies here. (spread thin)
As far as electricians pay and unqualified people, I don't pay anyone based on their license status. Only on their proven value to the company. Any incompetent will expose himself quickly, usually in the initial interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.