Testing voltage at 400 hz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electron_Sam78

Hey I've never worked with 400 hz before. Can I just use my standard Extech multi meter to test the voltage? The equipment is a 400 hz generator with 208/120, 3 phase, 60 hz input and the same output except 400 hz.

gar

Occupation
EE
150623-1128 EDT

My Fluke and Beckman DVM (RMS reading) are good to about 25 to 50 kHz on the high end. The Fluke 27 (average reading) has a somewhat higher upper frequency, and Simpson 270 (higher accuracy than 260) is good to several hundred kHz (possibly it was over 500 kHz).

Low end frequency limits are a function design, but might approach 20 Hz. Simpson 260 in AC mode (contrasted with Output mode that inserts a capacitor) is good as low as you can average the wiggle of the needle.

Any DVM with an input series capacitor will have a lower limit defined, at least, by the capacitor and the input impedance of the meter.

Electron_Sam78

150623-1128 EDT

My Fluke and Beckman DVM (RMS reading) are good to about 25 to 50 kHz on the high end. The Fluke 27 (average reading) has a somewhat higher upper frequency, and Simpson 270 (higher accuracy than 260) is good to several hundred kHz (possibly it was over 500 kHz).

Low end frequency limits are a function design, but might approach 20 Hz. Simpson 260 in AC mode (contrasted with Output mode that inserts a capacitor) is good as low as you can average the wiggle of the needle.

Any DVM with an input series capacitor will have a lower limit defined, at least, by the capacitor and the input impedance of the meter.

I looked up the Fluke 337 and it looks like the voltage readings can be taken with a frequency of up to 400 hz with an accuracy of 6% +\-5 counts between 100 & 400 hz. http://media.fluke.com/documents/33x_____cieng0300.pdf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.