testing grounding system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Re: testing grounding system

HI GUYS AND GALS

There is a inductance tester made by a company called "Tasco" model# INS120G. It test's voltage,voltage under load(10,15,20amps), voltage drop,gfi test,ground impedance, and your typical bug eye tester.I work for a communication company and this tool is a must. It's a little pricey at $350.00. But i think all electricians should have it.

STEVE

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Hello Dereck, try Here. It appears to do pretty much the same thing as a "Sure Test" only it uses LED's instead of the digital read out the best I can tell.

Roger

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Don't these types of testers have the same dangers as shorting the wire to the conduit to test the ground? Don't they place a short duration 15 or 20 amp load on the EGC? Is the assumption that the very short duration of the test current can't cause a problem?
Don

dereckbc

Staff member

Originally posted by don_resqcapt19:
Don't they place a short duration 15 or 20 amp load on the EGC? Is the assumption that the very short duration of the test current can't cause a problem? Don
Yes and no. The Sure Test will not proceed if the open circuit test fails. In other words the open circuit test should have a voltage of 0 volts between N-G before proceeding with a actual load test from P-G. Cannot speak for the Tasco unit.

dereckbc

Staff member

Originally posted by roger:
Hello Dereck, try Here. It appears to do pretty much the same thing as a "Sure Test" only it uses LED's instead of the digital read out the best I can tell. Roger
THX Roger. I think I will keep my Sure Test. Gives more information and easier to use.

Originally posted by dereckbc:
Originally posted by roger:
Hello Dereck, try Here. It appears to do pretty much the same thing as a "Sure Test" only it uses LED's instead of the digital read out the best I can tell. Roger
THX Roger. I think I will keep my Sure Test. Gives more information and easier to use.
Try: www.tasco-usa.com

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

25094, I think Dereck already read about this tester, click on the word "Here" in my earlier post.

BTW, I don't know anything more about this tester than I read, but I agree with Dereck and will keep my Sure Test #61-155.

Roger

pierre

I have both of the above testers. The Sure tester is good for electricians, with the digital readout.
The Tasco tester is good for impressing the customer when there are problems.

Example - when there is a problem with the Sure Tester, it has a digital readout that we understand, but has no meaning to the customer - sometimes hard to convince them something may not be good.

The Tasco Tester will light up with orange or red leds that 'scare' the customer- their usual response when they see red is " fix it"

Pierre

wirenut1980

If the customer needs a visual indication to be scared into fixing the grounding system, then maybe the conductor to conduit test would work when they see that their computer is now an oversized paperweight ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.