Terminating cat5 at tv locations (residential)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw_ross

Personally I don’t spend a lot of time watching tv and I’m not super high tech or knowledgeable about smart tv’s.
I also haven’t been doing a lot of new construction (whole house) in a few years.

I’m in the process of trimming out a new house that I wired up this winter and I’m getting down to doing the low voltage terminations.
At tv locations I pulled an RG6 and Cat5 back to the mechanical room.

Regarding the cat5 do you normally terminate with an 8-pin keystone jack at the tv location? I do a lot of keystone jacks for businesses that I work in for their computers, card readers, and security cameras,etc. so I’m comfortable with doing that.

If you have a landline location what do you do for that termination?
Back at the mechanical room what do you do for terminating the tv locations and then the landline location?

Thanks!

For me.... if it's CAT5, it gets treated as a network connection at both ends, so "RJ-45" at the field end and a patch panel at in the mech room (usually "568B" color code).

For a classic landline, it's "RJ-11" at both ends (although if both pairs are terminated, IIRC it's an RJ-14).

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Regarding the cat5 do you normally terminate with an 8-pin keystone jack at the tv location? I do a lot of keystone jacks for businesses that I work in for their computers, card readers, and security cameras,etc. so I’m comfortable with doing that.
Yes install a keystone jack at the tv locations.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Regarding the cat5 do you normally terminate with an 8-pin keystone jack at the tv location?
I prefer to have the fewest necessary connections, so I opt for the coax and CAT5 to be long enough to reach the TV.

I discuss the options with the customer. If they prefer plates, LV rings make it easy to push the extra wire in the wall.

If you have a landline location what do you do for that termination?
I usually use plates for phone, but if there's one needed behind the TV, I would match what I do with the others.

Keystones provide the greatest versatility. By the way, conduit is the only real "future-proofing" we can install.

Back at the mechanical room what do you do for terminating the tv locations and then the landline location?
Depends on the size of the house, the quantity of runs, and whether there's an open space or just an LV box.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I seldom terminate the Cat5 or RG6, I just coil it up in the box and put a blank plate over it. Reason being, most don't know what they are using and some Sat., cable, phone installers will just take it apart and put in their own.
Now, if the customer requests it, I will terminate the cables. On the Demarc end, I never do those, mostly because no equipment is there and for the same reason as I stated above.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I mostly work on remodels, but occasionally a new home. I always use B configuration for data.

Remodel - match existing. I'll put jacks or I can leave length and crimp on a male plug. In the "data room" I'll crimp on male ends, or install patch panel, whichever is most appropriate.

New work - I install a jack on the wall, and never terminate in the data room

James L

Occupation
Electrician
We are talking residential. You need two for a commercial fire alarm too. People that have cable or fiber modems use voip. I have ADSL, but do not use the phone line that comes with it.
Yeah, I know we're talking residential. I wire for a half dozen residential elevators every year. Most people are shocked because they don't have one, and now have to pay for one

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
Then it's not really what's understood as DSL (Digital Subscriber Line- usually ADSL, occasionally with Annex-M or -2, over a copper pair from the CO or a remote DSLAM).
I understand your point. When it was installed, the ATT tech called it DSL. The FTTH terminates on a wall-wart powered box and a copper pair (one pair of a cat6 cable, I believe) The DSL box, a Pace PLC 5268AC, is the same as when I had copper to my house. Gigabit is nice, but if 50 Mbit were available at a lower cost, I'd be more than happy with that. I doubt I've ever exceeded 30 Mbit, and 20 of that would be a single screen of Netflix 4k.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
We are talking residential. You need two for a commercial fire alarm too. People that have cable or fiber modems use voip. I have ADSL, but do not use the phone line that comes with it.
It not that unusual to see elevators in homes now I have seen many.
My inlaw had one built into their new home to take care of her mother.

Status
Not open for further replies.