Tennessee Limited Licensed Electrician LLE Preparation - Help Preparing

gregggm

Occupation
It Consultant
Hello, I am looking for some overall guidance on how to prepare for the LLE test conducted by PSI. For those of you that have taken the test as of late, could you share your tips, tricks and what reference material is best to prepare me for passing the test. I have been an apprentice on and off for 15 yrs with my father (residential), thus I do know theory and have a pretty good handle on , but have never been formally trained as part of a curriculum.

Below is PSI's recommended resource list; what would y'all feel the best way to study including or not including some of the references below or possibly reference material that is not listed:

NFPA 70 - National Electrical Code, 2017
National Electrical Code (NEC) Handbook, 2017,
Code of Federal Regulations - 29 CFR Part 1926 (OSHA), with latest available amendments,
NFPA 70E - Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace, 2012, National Fire Protection Association (NFPA
Ugly's Electrical References

Below is the content outline from PSI- is this current and or does anyone have input on the best way to prep for these areas---

thx so much for your help

Gary

Subject Area # of Items

General Knowledge and Electrical Installation Requirements 7
Services, Feeders, and Branch Circuits 7
Overcurrent Protection 2
Grounding and Bonding 5
Conductors and Cables 4
Raceways and Boxes 5
Hazardous Locations, Special Occupancies, and Special Equipment 5
Low Voltage, Alarms, Signaling Systems, and Communications 2
Lighting, Signs, and General Use Equipment 3

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I found the LLE exam, unlike the C-E exam, to be 99% NEC.
Miike's "Electrical Exam Preparation" book would be an excellent study guide/prep for the exam.
Your NEC and an Ugly's booklet should be sufficient for taking the exam.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
They through in some OSHA stuff that wasn't listed as being part of it. Luckily, someone who had taken the test advised us of it. Things like how far away from the house should the bottom of a ladder be according to the height of the roof.
I answered that I wanted the ladder as close to the house as possible if I'm climbing it! :)

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
They through in some OSHA stuff that wasn't listed as being part of it. Luckily, someone who had taken the test advised us of it. Things like how far away from the house should the bottom of a ladder be according to the height of the roof.
I answered that I wanted the ladder as close to the house as possible if I'm climbing it! :)
The 'official' Ladder Safety Institute rule is 1:4-- for every 4 units up, the base should be 1 unit away from what you're climbing. So the OSHA rule should be "One-fourth of the height of the roof, not counting 3 extra feet beyond the edge."
There used to be a 'rule of thumb' that when you're standing perfectly straight at the base of the ladder, your hands should be able to grab a rung without stretching. I don't know if the 1:4 rule supersedes the rule of thumb or not.