Temporary power to older house with 3-wire feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeNorm

We recently installed a new underground feeder(fed from new meter/main) to an older house that is set to be demolished but in the meantime needs to be re-energized.

Plan is to junction where the old meter base was on on the side of the house. But I am scratching my head about what to do with the ground wire I pulled from the meter/main. I have 3-wires on the house end and 4 wires on the meter/main end.

Should I just forget the ground wire exists for now? If you are reading this and think its crazy there is a provision for hooking onto old wiring and leaving out the ground wire.

Of course the ground will be used later when the new panel in the new house is installed. Thanks

JoeNorm

This comes up as our utility is constantly taking overhead down and putting things underground. New provision is always a meter/main at the street and feed to homes.

This case is a little different than usual because I'll be splicing on the side of the house.

I my main question is whether it's better or worse to land the ground? landing it creates multiple paths for neutral current which I know is typically a no no.

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
It sounds like this is a temporary power set up, why not simply use the 3 wire system as a 120v w/ ground. Is it necessary during the temp stage to have 240.

JoeNorm

250.32(B)(1) Exception 1 is what gets highlighted in these situations.

So in this case I ran the Equipment ground for the future but according to the exception I should not use it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.