Temperature Control wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

david19

We are an installer of temp. control systems and have just been questioned regarding a present installation practice of the controls for a air handling unit and the associated speed drive. We needed to install conduit from our control panel to the other end of the unit for the speed drive and along the way various control devices. To support the conduit we utilitized beam clamps and a small length of strut from the standing seams of the ductwork. I know that this is standard practice for many years in the industry however I would like to know what section of the code would cover this practice.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: Temperature Control wiring

An interesting question. I'm pretty sure conduit supports are required to be attached to the building, as opposed to equipment installed in the building, but I'm not all that sure its an NEC requirement.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

If the conduit serves items on the air handler itself from a control panel on the air handler I see nothing wrong with what you are doing as long as the conduit doesn't block or cover access panels. I don't believe there is anything in the NEC that addresses this.

-Hal

david19

I took it the same way if the conduit was serving that piece of equipment there should be no problem in attaching to the duct seam, however the inspector on the site is causing flack. If anyone has any code to support me using this method I would appreciate the help

ryan_618

I don't have my mechanical code here at home, but I'll look at it on Monday when I get back to work. Send me a PM to remind me, would you? I think in chapter 6 of the IMC it talks about it, but I'm not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.