telling on a co-worker

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have this problem in the co. i work for i don't know if telling on a good friend that he was stealing material from the company is a good idea my boss said i need to say something or loose my job this guy thought me many electrical things i don't know what to do can i get some tips.

highkvoltage

Re: telling on a co-worker

You are between a rock and a hard spot. Why not talk to your freind and explain the situation to him. Explain that he should come clean and take the load off of you. This would also test your freindship. If he is a true freind he will step up to the plate for you. Personally I wouldn't rat my freind out (don't let your freind know this) no matter what I would take the high road and I would quit on principal. Your employer has insulted you. If you don't want to quit (right now jobs are hard to come by) I would also explain to your employer that he has no right to make this demand. Now if you helped in any way that's a different story, you have to clean also.
Alot of people don't like this answer but I'll give to you anyways. Talk to your clergyman and get his/her's advice and/or pray for the answer. It's work for me.

What do you mean you don't know what to do. YOU NEED TO DO THE RIGHT THING. nobody can or should tell you what to do. this was the job of parents that raised you. you are an adult and the action you take now speaks of your character and who you are going to be. you have to wrestle with this problem and make your own decision.

dereckbc

Staff member

First question I would ask myself is; "Do I want a thief as a friend"? There are plenty of knowledgeable people out there who can teach you the trade, ethics, honesty and become a good friend.

Choose wisely, every choice you make will shape your life and come back to you.

jimwalker

If he is stealing it cost the company money.The company can not offer raises or bonus if they have losses over theft.Your friend is actually stealing from you and everyone else.Find a new friend or at least let this one know how you feel about it.

highkvoltage

I agree with all of your post. We work in a very fickle trade. Sometimes doing the right thing can turn out badly for you. If this thief has other friends there then this person may get allot of grief later. That is why I'm leaning toward his friend coming clean. Second the employer has no right to but this burden on this employee as long as he had nothing to do with the thieve. If the employer has an idea who it is he should just go directly to him. Now if he doesn't know who did the thieve what is he going to do threaten every employee and fire each one until someone rats the person out. That should be good for business.

jgriffin

Only you know the specific details of this problem,Therefore ONLY YOU can can decide.I'm assuming you were NOT involved in this theft Except by association So the "PriorityOne" should be to YOU and Your Family.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by priorityone:. . . my boss said I need to say something or lose my job
Wait a minute. Are you telling us that a person in a supervisory position is aware of a theft, and he is threatening you with a loss of your job? If the boss is aware of a theft, then the boss should fire the thief. You have no role in this situation.

jimwalker

This sounds a bit like the boss noticed material missing and you said something like i know who is taking it.If thats what you did then you brought this on your self.Either keep mouth shut or open it all the way.You can't exspect him not to demand to know if you said you know who.

ccha9219

speaking as a supervisor. I have to gree with charlie, It's his job not yours that should be on the line if he's not sure of who it is, ;) he needs to find out. If this guy is using your friendship to mask his theft he's no friend. You will continue to learn this trade with or without him.
Don't forget (As I have quickly learned) You the best teachers in the world right at your finger tips.
In either case good jobs are hard to find, friends that steal are a dime a dozen.

Status
Not open for further replies.