Telephone wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

thorstein

Our company has been contacted to install telephone modems in the guestrooms of a Philadelphia hotel. In some of the rooms the modem will be located on the opposite wall of the telephone jack. The room layout indicates that the easiest and most discrete install will be pulling the wire under the carpet.
Are there any codes or regulations that will be a hindrance to going under the carpet?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: Telephone wiring

Local codes and ordinaces may apply...
Telephone wiring is covered by Art 800 of the NEC.
Section 90.3 gives the arrangement of the NEC. In looking at 90.3 you'll find that unless Art 800 references a section in chapters 1-7, Art 800 is not subject to those chapters. You should review Art 800 first.
Could you run phone wire under carpet. Sure
Is it a good idea? I don't think so. Its more of a performance issue, in this area BISCI has the best information. I have seen phone cable run around the perimiter by tucking under the baseboard.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

You never want to run any kind of wire under a carpet. Current carrying conductors create a fire hazard and any kind of wire will create a bump that will look bad and wear out. DIYers will do this, pros should know better. There are undercarpet systems I believe for this but they are expensive.
In a situation like this we would tuck the wire under the cove base. Quick and easy actually. If the base is not vinyl cove and the carpet is laid with a tack strip on the floor there is always a space between the tack strip and the wall under the carpet. Use your linesmans pliers (I know, not a standard telecom tool) to pull up the carpet a couple of feet at a time, carefully place the cable in the space (you definately don't want it to flip on top of the tack strip!) put the carpet back down and stomp it down onto the tack strip with you foot. You do it a little at a time so the carpet doesn't become unstretched.

If neither is possible, check for a hung ceiling and fish each wall. Last resort is stapling around the walls or raceway. NEVER under the carpet!

I should say also that running around the base or tack strip pretty much guarantees that you (or somebody else) will be back to redo the job when the carpet is replaced. Take that for what its worth! :D

-Hal

[ March 01, 2004, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: hbiss ]

pierre

What you may want to do is sell the idea of a surface raceway. The possibility of future expansion for data will also be provided.
There are plastic surface raceways that are fast and easy to install and are not too bad on the eye.

Pierre

gregory

725.61 E(6) Type CMUC undercarpet communications wires and cables shall be permitted to be installed under carpet.

You can install this cmuc communications wires under carpets

Status
Not open for further replies.